Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chung123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
Last night, I started to back up and carbon copy clone a 1TB 7200 rpm hard drive (my photos drive) to another 7200rpm 1TB hard drive via a eSATA dock and I'm amazed it takes 17 hours and counting to clone the 900gb of data(photos) on my Mac Pro 5,1.

I wonder what the next advancement will be to improve data copy speeds?

It seems like a lot of time when dealing with such large quantities of data. It works out to 51 gb per hour? Are these typical speeds? I'm suspecting yes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 3.25.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 3.25.38 PM.png
    164.3 KB · Views: 141

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Not sure how it compares but I clone half of that, (while booted into recovery), in about 3 hours.
Internal is Samsung EVO 1TB.
External is Samsung M3 portable.
Interface FW800.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Photos are all small files, I won't be surprised that takes looong time to copy thousands of small files from a HDD, even the overall file size is not considered huge.

This is the main reason why SSD is much more superior than HDD, nothing to do with the xxxMB/s (which a HDD RAID 0 array can match the SSD), but the low latency between reading small files.

Last edited:

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
Turning off Spotlight Indexing for the target drive might help to increase the copying speed.

System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy

Drag your external drive into the list to disable the indexing process for this drive. This should avoid the additional read access to the target drive from the spotlight index. But don't expect any miracles from this.

Chung123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
Thanks everyone for the confirmation and info. It just seems like such an inefficient use of time. I can't wait until SSDs match the price of rotational hard drives. It's getting there---I see 240gb SSD cost half as much as it did 2 years ago.

I will always remember that story about Steve Jobs trying cut boot times for the first Mac: http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Saving_Lives.txt

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
Thanks everyone for the confirmation and info. It just seems like such an inefficient use of time. I can't wait until SSDs match the price of rotational hard drives. It's getting there---I see 240gb SSD cost half as much as it did 2 years ago.

I will always remember that story about Steve Jobs trying cut boot times for the first Mac: http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Saving_Lives.txt
Small file sizes can really slow down a copy. The following Terminal command would have been faster:

sudo dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/dev/disk2 bs=4m

Assuming disk1 was the source disk and disk2 is the target disk.

Reactions: Chung123

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA

It's in the background, so I don't worry about it.

Reactions: Chung123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.