Cloning a Boot drive from 1 internal HD to another

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by breadfan35, Jun 15, 2009.

1. breadfan35 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I did a search, but didn't see this specifically talked about. (Perhaps I missed it)

I have a 2.66 quad core Mac Pro with a 160 HD. I added a SeaGate 750 HD and just recently a SeaGate 1.5 TB HD. I have copied all the data from the 750 to the 1.5 TB and now I'd like to clone the 160 to the 750 using SuperDuper to make the 750 my new Boot drive.

My question is, can I do this with both of them being internal drives? If I do, once the clone is done, I'll have two drives running OS X until I can shut it down and remove the 160. Will this screw anything up? I've never done a HD clone before (swapping a boot drive to a larger capacity boot drive) so I'm not sure. Most stuff I've read online talks about doing it on a laptop so making one drive external is a must. I just thought it'd be good to ask before I just try it.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. BeauGiles macrumors member

SuperDuper! will do this for you - clone from a drive/partition to another drive/partition, no matter whether it's External or Internal. :)

3. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I did this last night with CCC. I have a Time Machine backup also, but I always prefer to have an extra clone in a drawer somewhere, in case the original drive corrupts, TM clones that, and then I have two crappy drives :p