Resolved Cloning a damage drive to another: which options?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caesar_091, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Caesar_091 macrumors regular

Caesar_091

Hi all,

one of my HD began to show signs of malfunction. I've tried to check and fix dir structure with DiskWarrior and other less powerful utilities without success.

What I would like to do now is to copy the whole content of the HD to another skipping files on damaged blocks.

SuperDuper and CCC just stop once a file cannot be read correctly; "rsync -avzh --ignore-errors" via terminal looks to start working good but then it almost freeze and I have to force quit it.

Do you have any suggestion?

Is there a software that can split this big task (it's an almost full 2TB HD) into single small tasks (i.e. file level single tasks) that just don't stop once a file cannot be copied but keeps working to the end give me a report of which files have not been copied?

What about an SFTP/SSH client connecting to local host and tring to do "as a networks task"? DO you have any good client which just doesn't stop in case of errors but keeps coping next file in queue?

TIA

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Doesn't CCC have an option to "skip over" bad blocks/files?

I believe there's a "block level" option available, but have never tried it. Perhaps that will skip bad blocks, as well?

As a last resort, you might try "manually copying" folders and files from the bad drive to a good one.
    You'll need to have patience and keep handwritten notes to keep track of where you are in the process...

3. Caesar_091 thread starter macrumors regular

Caesar_091

Thanks for your answer; unfortunately CCC fails in doing the job and since its a disk full of thousands (millions?) of small files the manual copy is a no go :confused::confused:

I've successfully used Cyberduck (FTP/SFTP/etc etc) client:
    - the GOOD -> after almost 37 hours I made a copy of all accessible files
    - the BAD -> no way to log uncopied files (I had to check with OmniDiskSweeper each folder size to find those missing something)

It was not a "mandatory" drive but I've done the job faster then coping back those files from old CD/DVD backups.