Cloning a new SSD for install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tenashus1, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

I have been contemplating purchase of an OCZ Vertex 4 512gb, but I just read(oh, no) that I cannot use an external usb, bus powered enclosure with the Vertex because it can mess up the firmware in the drive. If I can't use the external enclosure with the Vertex, can I - in somebody's experience - successfully use it to clone with a Samsung SSD for instance? I was really interested in the Vertex, but don't want to come out with a damaged SSD before I get started with the install. I'm finding that getting an SSD for a Mac is not an easy undertaking. OCZ has easy Mac firmware downloads while the Sammys don't support firmware downloads for the Mac. I just want a simple SSD solution for my MBP. Sammy or OCZ doesn't matter. I'm not even sure that firmware upgrades are that important beyond having the most current version installed. Any help, suggestions, or clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

You can just put your hard drive in the external, while installing the SSD in your MBP. Then boot off the external to clone.

3. robvas macrumors 68020

I would not buy an OCZ over a Samsung in the first place :)

4. Tenashus1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Then reboot while holding the option key to select the bootable drive?

----------

But what of those pesky firmware updates that are not possible on an MBP? Just tell me that I don't have to think about that and I'm sold on the Sammy.

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

Check out this thread on SSDs that allow updating the firmwaree on a Mac.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1513035
    Aside from the dubious nature of the company, I would never buy a Samsung simply because you cannot update the firmware unless you take it out of the Mac, and install it in a Windows machine. That is a major hassle.
    If the Samsung was the only SSD available offering good performance, and reliability, maybe that would weigh in less, but there are so any other good choices. Hell Hammer recommended the Plextor M5 Pro and many people have had good luck with the Crucial M4. I have an Intel 335 that made my MBP a real delight to use. Many say the OWC and Sandisk SSDs are good too.
    As several people have said, rather than any one particular brand, why not look around for a good, cheap deal on one of the brands that has firmware updaters for the Mac? Then you know you are covered if a new firmware is released in the future to match OS updates or for whatever reason.
    The attachment so many people have for the "best benchmarks" is incomprehensible to me, any good SSD will make a huge difference coming from a regular HD. :cool::cool::cool:

6. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Similar question and dont feel it needs a new thread. I'm upgrading my stock hdd in my macbook pro late 2011. Basic question what do I need to do when it comes friday?
    I have a time machine backup so I think I boot from that or something? Basically when I first install the new drive what to I do to get all my info back on it? What do I hold click and such?

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

There are 2 ways to do this: 1.) Use an external disk, clone the HD to the external, install the SSD and then clone back from the external to the new SSD. A variation; install the new SSD, install the HD in an external USB/firewire case, boot up with option key held down, chose the HD the external case and clone back to the SSD.
    Use Carbon Copy cloner to do either.
    2.) Install the new SSD, boot up with the Command and R keys held down, use this internet recovery method to install the OS and then hook up the time machine disk to restore your apps and settings etc.
    However this method usually will install the OS your <BP cam with, in your case probably Lion.
    Are you running ML now?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just use your Time Machine disk to do this. Install the SSD, then plug in the Time Machine external disk and option key boot to the Time Machine disk. Then run Disk Util and format the SSD as Mac OS Extended. Then click restore and the OS and all your data will be installed in the SSD.

9. Tenashus1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I settled for a Crucial M4 512gb SSD with the transfer kit. That oughta do it.

10. phased macrumors member

I've got a similar question.

I'm looking at installing my Sandisk Extreme SSD into my MBP and moving the HDD to the optical drive bay.

Am I best of cloning my HDD to the SSD prior to installation (with a USB sata enclosure)? Or can I simply do the swap then clone the HDD to the SSD when both are in the machine?

11. Tenashus1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I only installed an SSD in mine. I used an external enclosure and SuperDuper to make the easy clone.

12. Gianmarco macrumors member

Is this true? I found the following in the 840/840 pro thread:

Also, are there any other brands that offer a 5-year warranty with their SSDs like samsung? thats the main selling point for me...

13. robvas macrumors 68020

Intel has a 5-year warranty on the 520 and 3 year on the 330.

OCZ has a 5-year warranty on the Vector. And so does Corsair on the Neutron drives.