Cloning an entire drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saberwing1010, Jul 21, 2011.

1. saberwing1010 macrumors newbie

I have a hard drive that I want to clone to another drive of the same size (320gb to 320gb), while keeping the partitioning scheme intact (it has 9 partitions, including a special EFI only one that cannot be copied using standard methods). I'm currently using DD to clone the drive, but the clone is going at around 10-15 MB/s as the fastest I can make it go using the optimum block size. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other utilities that would be able to do this for me?

Thanks!

2. Heisler98 macrumors member

I'm not sure about the special EFI partition scheme, but Carbon Copy Cloner is highly-placed along the lines of drive cloners. You can define which partition to send to which partition on your new drive, and it is relatively fast. Like I said, you might have to read up on the EFI. But definitely check it out.

3. saberwing1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem with software like CCC, SuperDuper, DataBackup, and the related is that they are partition based, and would require me to set up each partition individually/manually. At this point, I've figured out to use dd to copy the partition table and first two partitions (the special EFI ones), and then just use disk utility's restore function to copy the rest.