Cloning an old CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by metrokid, May 4, 2009.

1. metrokid macrumors newbie

So i recently decided to dust off my old PC to play some of the games that I have been feeling nostalgic for and have run into a nit of a problem. One of the game discs is in pretty bad shape due to years of use and abuse and won't install the game. out of curiosity I threw the disc into my MPB's higher quality drive and it can see right through all the scratches and such. So I was wondering how to copy the old disc on to a fresh new one and have it still be usable by the old XP box. Any Ideas?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Typically you would need something like Toast to do that but this is worth a shot: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2059. I haven't tested it before so its a toss-up whether it'll actually work.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

4. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Just copy the bum Disc onto your Mac desktop then reburn a new disc thats compatible MAC/PC

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Disk Utility, Toast Titanium, or the UNIX "dd" command.

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I always thought that Toast would not copy protected software. Please correct me if I am wrong...

7. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Doesn't this just mean that Toast doesn't use libdvdread and Libdvdcss libraries to defeat the Content Scramble System of comercial DVDs.

I'm not sure how it would handle a CD thats >15 years old with who knows what protection.

IF you don't have Toast (or Popcorn), which may be a little pricey to by for just an old CD I'd try Burn as it's free.

8. hndn macrumors regular

What is Unix "dd" command, please?
    Thanks.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's a Unix tool that can be used to duplicate just about anything. It's way to techy for most, IMO.

Code:
    DD(1)                     BSD General Commands Manual                    DD(1)

NAME
         dd -- convert and copy a file

SYNOPSIS
         dd [operands ...]

DESCRIPTION
         The dd utility copies the standard input to the standard output.  Input
         data is read and written in 512-byte blocks.  If input reads are short,
         input from multiple reads are aggregated to form the output block.  When
         finished, dd displays the number of complete and partial input and output
         blocks and truncated input records to the standard error output.