Cloning both XP and OS X using one tool?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dacapo, Mar 28, 2010.

1. dacapo macrumors 6502

Has anyone here been able to clone both XP and OS X partitions with one cloning tool?

I've been trying to figure out how to upgrade my hdd.
    My web searches came up with CopyCatX as a possible option.
    Any people here with experience in using this tool?

I understand that you can do some combination of winclone & ccc but I'd rather just do a single sweep device clone if possible. (I also have a FAT32 partition on this hdd, so 3 actively used partitions that I want to move over.)

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am not aware of any one stop solutions that will clone both OSX and Bootcamp partitions, mainly because the formats are different

The most reliable solution is to use CCC or SD for the OSX
    And to use WinClone for the Bootcamp partition

3. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    use dd or dd_rescue from a different disk or machine.

Then resize the partitions as needed, this is how I have upgraded my hard drive twice in my laptop. There is better ways but this works fine for me.

4. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm, sounds workable! :) Although I'll have to polish(?) my rusty Unix/Linux knowledge, this could work with one of my old laptops after installing Ubuntu... and then go from there, right?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

dd is a wonderful tool, but there is a reason it has the nickname "data destroyer". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix). You need to be fully aware of what you are doing.

CCC/winclone are my tools of choice, and I'd recommend the following steps.

1. attach new drive to system.
    2. Create desired partition scheme.
    3. Use CCC to clone to new OS X partition
    4. Swap drives
    5. Boot to new OS X partition
    6. Winclone from old Windows partition to new
    7. Copy data from old FAT32 to new FAT32 partition (CCC should be able to do this).

B

6. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the step-by-step!
    But then again, the allure of a one-pass multi-OS disk duplication is quite compelling! :D
    So, I'll probably learn about dd/dd_restore first and then resort to this step-by-step as a latter resort.

7. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Aaron11193,

I've installed dd_rescue. Would you be able to share what options to use for what I'm trying to do? Here is a listing of the optons that I got.

Many thanks!

USAGE: dd_rescue [options] infile outfile
    Options: -s ipos start position in input file (default=0),
    -S opos start position in output file (def=ipos),
    -b softbs block size for copy operation (def=65536),
    -B hardbs fallback block size in case of errs (def=512),
    -e maxerr exit after maxerr errors (def=0=infinite),
    -m maxxfer maximum amount of data to be transfered (def=0=inf),
    -y syncfrq frequency of fsync calls on outfile (def=512*softbs),
    -l logfile name of a file to log errors and summary to (def=""),
    -o bbfile name of a file to log bad blocks numbers (def=""),
    -r reverse direction copy (def=forward),
    -t truncate output file (def=no),
    -d/D use O_DIRECT for input/output (def=no),
    -w abort on Write errors (def=no),
    -a spArse file writing (def=no),
    -A Always write blocks, zeroed if err (def=no),
    -i interactive: ask before overwriting data (def=no),
    -f force: skip some sanity checks (def=no),
    -p preserve: preserve ownership / perms (def=no),
    -q quiet operation,
    -v verbose operation,
    -V display version and exit,
    -h display this help and exit.

8. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for my HDD+enclosure from Amazon, so haven't actually done this yet.

The more I think about it, the more balamw's steps seem sensible and reasonable. :)

But if I were to do it with the dd_rescue from a Linux laptop, would I be plugging in both my current 160gb hdd and the new 320gb hdd into two separate usb2 ports? Or is there another way to run dd_rescue without first removing my current 160gb?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could probably boot from something like Ubuntu Rescue Remix http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/ leave your 160 GB installed, connect the new drive via USB and dd (gddrescue is what Ubuntu Rescue Remix recommends) your heart away from the internal drive to the USB one. Then swap. You might even have the required tools there to expand the partitions with (g)parted.

B

10. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks balamw! This is cool stuff. Once I give this a try, I'll post my thoughts.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Will rsync make a bootable Windows partition? If so, that's a new feature!

B

12. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

balamw, many thanks!

I just finished the cloning process.
    I used the ubuntu-rescue-remix, ran the ddrescue, and used gparted to expand my partitions. It was really straightforward! The only hard part was trying to figure out a way to grow the HFS+ partition without shelling out $$ for iPartition. But yes, I learned that there is a native terminal command to do this within OS-X.

So, from the start, here are the steps that someone might take in the future to do exactly what I did.

1. download and install ubuntu-rescue-remix.
    2. boot with ubuntu-rescue-remix
    3. run the command sudo lshw -C disk to figure out which disks are which logical drives (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc)
    4. run the command sudo ddrescue -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb where /dev/sda is the source disk, and /dev/sdb is the target disk
    5. run gparted to expand the partitions on the cloned . (I ended up using a different laptop, as I already had gparted installed there. THe ubuntu-rescue-remix doesn't seem to come with gparted, although you could install it but it's command line stuff... another way to access gparted is by installing the ubuntu to boot off of a CD-ROM separately, and that actually contains gparted.)
    6. move and expand the partitions as desired, with the exception of the HFS+ partition (gparted can't grow HFS+ partitions, so I just created another empty partition next to the HFS+ partition in gparted.)
    7. boot into OS-X and run disk utility to make sure that the empty partition is formatted in "Journaled HFS+".
    8. (Here is where you can expand HFS+ partitions..)
    8a. open up terminal in OSX.
    8b. type in diskutil list and the listing should come up.
    8c. make a note of the two partitions that you want to merge.
    8d. type in sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk1s1 disk1s2 where disk1s1 is the partition with the current OS-X stuff, and disk1s2 is the empty partition.
    8e. Now you end up with an expanded HFS+ partition. However, it will no longer be bootable! So, just go back into Linux gparted and re-flag the new expanded HFS+ partition as "boot", and then you end up with a perfectly cloned + expaned HDD.
    9. make the hardware swap. reboot and test that Windows and OSX both boot.

For me, this ended up being a pretty cool method, since I can control most of the partitioning within one tool without having to use two different tools to clone different parts of the drive... With this I can just do the cloning once, set the partitions in gparted, make the final HFS+ partition in OSX, re-tag the OSX as boot in gparted!

Thanks again to balamw for the info I needed.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You're welcome, and thanks for coming back and updating us on your success! It's always a pain not knowing if something you suggested worked (or not).

You could probably just have used Disk Utility to grow the HFS+ partiton into empty space by dragging the lower right corner in the partition map.

B

14. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that info. I might end up trying this in the near future as the new HDD I got (scorpio black 320gb) is a bit louder than I hoped for. I may exchange it for an Hitachi travelstar 500gb 7200rpm while I'm at this.

15. Norton74 macrumors newbie

Norton74

I have used Apricorn Easy Gig II several times to clone hard drives when trying to make a back up of multiple OS boot partitions or just upgrading the size of a hard drive. It works great! I have even been able to clone a hard drive from a video arcade machine, you know the tall ones that are at a bar or restaurant, that had several partitions in ext3 format. Anyway, it takes about an hour to do a 500GB HDD and copies a perfect image of everything on the disk, boot records and all.

BTW... it runs from your optical drive and there is no program to install. You just need an enclosure or USB dock. Very easy to run, just click on a few selections and let it run!

16. tvamvarg macrumors newbie

Semi-success on my part. ddrescue cloned the drive ok, but when I tried moving the Boot Camp partition to make room for a larger HFS+ it wouldn't move (error from gparted).

Then I tried cloning a different drive (160GB), that only had a HFS+ partition, to a larger drive (500GB) and it booted ok. But when I tried to resize the partitions with Disk Utility, I got 'MediaKit' errors all over.

So, now I'm wiping the drive, partitioning it with DU and restoring from Time Machine. Will have to do the Boot Camp install again, or use WinClone.