Cloning current iMac to new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slffl, Jul 1, 2008.

1. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

I currently have an iMac and it's being backed up to an external HDD through Time Machine.

I just purchased another iMac and would like to basically clone my current one to the new one. Data, settings, applications, etc.

Is this possible? If so what's the best way? Mac to Mac, HDD to Mac?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

When you're going through the set up process with your new Mac, one of the options is to to install a Time Machine backup from an external drive so you could use this method to transfer everything across.

3. slffl thread starter macrumors 65816

slffl

Cool, thanks! I'll give that a try.

4. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) or SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/) to clone your "old" iMac to an external drive and the clone the new iMac from the external drive. Unlike Time Machine, you can create a bootable external disk with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Best to clone the drive on your old iMac - although it depends on what the Time Machine settings are - what files are not being backed up etc.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Intel Mac OS installs are machine type specific. You might have some luck if the 2 iMacs are intel macs, or you might not. If you try to clone iMac g5 to intel imac, it won't work.

USE MIGRATION ASSISTANT

If you must backup old computer, boot using OSX disk, use disk utility to make a disk image of old computer. On new computer, use migration assistant to move your stuff over.

7. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I did not know that. I've never used a Mac until Apple moved to Intel.