Cloning discs from MacBook Pro's with different specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZAK248313, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ZAK248313 macrumors member

Hi there-

Bought a new Unibody 2.54Ghz MBP about 3 months ago. Had a few issues with it and finally got approved my DOA last week.

I thought "what the heck" since they're replacing it with a new one anyway, I'll pay the difference and get the 2.8Ghz model instead of a straight swap.

All good- the new machine arrived today.

Now... I've got my current 2.54Ghz machine running just the way I like it- I want to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my current (2.54 unibody) STOCK 320GB drive to a Seagate 320GB I bought a while ago and had my old machine running off. THEN, drop the Seagate 320GB in the brand new unibody 2.8 I just got.

(the drive that came with the new 2.8Ghz unibody is a 250GB, I got it to minimise the gap cost I paid, I plan on getting the 500GB 7200rpm Seagate in the next month or so anyway, so, Im not using this).

Q's-
    Will cloning my old drive that was in my 2.54 Uni, and then dropping it in a 2.8 Uni cause any problems?

Will putting the 250GB that came with my new Uni 2.8 in an old non uni 07 MBP machine cause any issues? ( I want to sell this with the 250GB)

Any help appreciated.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that will be perfectly fine, there will be no issues at all.

3. ZAK248313 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, did it last night and everything seem's to be A.O.K!

4. ZAK248313 thread starter macrumors member

May have spoken too soon.

The Stock 7200rpm 250GB I took out of a Unibody 2.54 and dropped in my 07MBP has had probs.

The battery indicator has a cross through it - and says Battery not available (or something like that).

Also- xbench scores (particulary with the drive) are pretty low.

Any tips?

*Note- I used Carbon Copy Cloner- and cloned it from my 2.54Ghz Unibody.

5. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Why don't you use the restore DVD disk that came with the 07 MBP to reformat the drive, and make it like it was originally... before you sell it? That should work on the swapped hard drive.

6. ZAK248313 thread starter macrumors member

Have no idea where it is- bought it refurb a couple of years ago and moved a couple of times since then.

7. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

I just wanted to mention that I put a 500GB 12.5mm HDD in my unibody which was a clone of my old 2.4GHz SR MacBook Pro. Surprisingly it booted up and everything seemed to work, even the MiniDisplayPort to DVI dongle! It was quite surprising and kind of the opposite that the OP experienced.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

There is only one released version of 10.5.6. You could clone a drive from a PowerMac G4 onto a MacBook Pro if you wanted to. It's possible though, that some setting got cloned over that shouldn't've, so the other machine thinks it has something it doesn't. Don't really know what though.

9. ZAK248313 thread starter macrumors member

I was going the opposite way. Cloning from my unibody- and dropping the clone into an old 07 MBP

Bummer! You think its got something to do with some prefs?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You'll want to perform an Archive and Install (preserving user settings), and redo the updates to make sure you have the right drivers.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh... Just a thought but wouldn't cloning from a "Powerbook" (that's a non-Intel machine) to a Intel based machine cause problems? As the architecture is way different.

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Nope, all the binaries are "fat", they will run on either one. Also, look in /System/Library/CoreServices

Notice both the Intel and PPC bootloaders (boot.efi and BootX) are there?

That's why there is only one Leopard disc. It's not choosing which one to install, there is only one version. It was designed from the ground up to be able to adapt to either one, as needed. The only exception is if someone ran a program to strip out the uneeded binaries out.