Cloning drive and the new Recovery partition

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by netnothing, Jul 24, 2011.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

So, I just checked and CCC obviously does not clone the Recovery Partition of my boot drive.

I'm guessing though that this is ok....since as long as I clone the actual boot partition, I can always erase that partition and clone back if I needed to.....thus not even touching the recovery partition?

I guess the only issue with not doing a full disk clone (if that's even possible) to get the recovery partition is that you can't move everything to a new drive?

Any ideas on how one would do that? Would you have to start fresh on the new drive and once setup then clone back the Lion partition?

-Kevin

2. mullet macrumors regular

I have a similar issue and I think you're on to something. This is what I plan on doing...

I'm currently using Snow Leopard on my Mac Book Pro. I'm also using Lion on an external hard drive until everything is safe to move over to Lion. According to this article on the Carbon Copy Cloner website http://help.bombich.com/kb/advanced-strategies/the-disk-center -- you can only use a Lion installer to create that hidden recovery partition. So in my case I've created a Lion installation, copied over all of my important files, etc. I also have a separate Time Machine backup if all else fails. Next I would completely install a new fresh copy of Lion on my Mac Book Pro. This will install the recovery partition. Finally, I'll use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone over my external copy of Lion to my MBP. My recovery partition stays in tact.

This is a similar process to what the article describes for cloning a current installation of Lion elsewhere while keeping the recovery partition in tact. I'm just doing it in the opposite direction.

Hope this helps.

3. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I had gotten Lion put on my Mac when I sent it in for repair. When they sent it back, they wiped everything off and put this on instead of Snow Leopard (the OS that was on it prior to sending this in for repair). this was nice of them. But, it seems I can't turn Filevault on because the recovery partition wasn't there. Or maybe it was and when I moved to a bigger hard drive, it didn't copy back via the cloning process of Carbon Copy Cloner.

So, I made a bootable USB drive of Lion using the method here (my wife's MacBook Air was recently purchased and came with Lion installed. So I had to create this off that computer).

I then partitioned my HD and just installed Lion on that via this USB Drive. That partition now has the Recovery Partition. Now I'm here where mullet is:

The only question I have is what setting should you use for the clone that Carbon Copy Cloner will make? check out the attachment. It shows the move I want to make from the original install (Untitled) to the new one (Main)

Attached Files: