Cloning DVD help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rmeza707, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Rmeza707 macrumors newbie

I just recently got my iMac and I love it. I want to make a copy of a DVD to another DVD whats the best software to use thanks.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

For an unencrypted dvd, just use Disc Utility, which is in Applications>Utilities.

3. theelysium macrumors 6502a

theelysium

Cloning DVD

You can make a disc image from almost any disc you want with Disc Utility.

When you see the name "Finder" in your menubar in the top left press Shift+Command+U that will take you to Utilities.

Open Disc Utility
    Once you are there follow this training I made on how to copy a disc:
    https://files.me.com/josephfrazier/mpju8a.mov

Will will also want to get Mac The Ripper and Toast. You can find Mac the Ripper here http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14414/mactheripper and Toast can be found for free through torrents.:eek:

The reason why you would want Toast or another app like Toast is due to things that maybe copy written that you want to make a copy of. I have not been able to get Mac The Ripper to work with Disc Utility. Not saying it can't be done, but from my experience it does not work.

In theory you can make a disc image with Mac The Ripper then burn the disc image with Disc Utility, but it didn't work when I tried it so whatev.:confused:

Good Luck

4. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Hi - I got Mac The Ripper to copy DVDs to my Mac so I can watch them when traveling. I do not need to cut new DVDs.

My question is, since Mac the ripper has not been updated, does it work with all modern DVDs?

I am willing to pay for something if there is a program that works well and is currently supported.

Thanks!

R

5. theelysium macrumors 6502a

theelysium

Umm Yea

Yes it works with all DVDs, now Bluray.. I'm not sure. If you have Bluray just give it a try assuming you have an external Bluray optical drive.