Cloning External Drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nza, Oct 14, 2009.

1. nza macrumors member

Hello ladies and gentlemens,

I'm having an issue with cloning/copying the content one an external hard drive onto a new external hard drive.

Basically, I have a 500GB FW400 drive which I use to store my media files. It's full, so I purchased a 1TB FW800 drive to replace it. Obviously, I thought I could simply copy and paste the media files from the old drive to the new one.

Sike.

[​IMG]

Any ideas? I cannot copy the media files to my internal drive first as my internal drive is only 250GB and nearly full itself.

I have used Disk Utility to attempt to close the old drive to the new drive, but keep getting "insufficient space" errors.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks as always!!

Mike

edit: and the new drive is formatted and empty. There is no folder on the new drive named iTunes Music, there's no folders at all.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'll second Carbon Copy Cloner. It's a free download and it's super easy to use. Just plug both externals in to your computer set it to clone the drive and walk away. That's it. :)

4. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I don't see why you cannot copy and paste from one external to another if its just media files you are moving.:confused:

5. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I use SuperDuper which is good for this as well. Just by curiosity, why do you guys prefer Carbon Copy ?

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I've heard others recommend Super Duper and in all honesty I've never tried it. CCC was the first cloning program I used and it met my needs perfectly so I haven't used anything else. It's good to know there are other quality options out there though.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I've never used SuperDuper, that's why I prefer CCC. :cool:

It's a great little software that uses the ditto command which comes with OS X. So it's basically just a GUI for the already implemented tool.

I've never had any problems using CCC with backing up or restoring disks.
    Scheduling backups is another nice feature which makes life easier.

My main machine boots at 4am, makes backups of all his drives using CCC, and falls asleep an hour later.
    So I never get disturbed by any backup software during my work but I know that it's done, which is pretty nice. :)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another vote for CCC, never had a problem with that app.

9. nza thread starter macrumors member

I'm still stumped on this one. Seems like it should be pretty straightforward - copy it from one drive, paste it to another. Noooope.

CCC is running now and I hasn't run into any issues yet. Thanks people!!

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

The only time I used CC I got errors at the end of the clone process. To the trash it went.

Never a problem using SuperDuper. I thought CCC would be faster which is why I tried it the one time. (It isn't).