Cloning external SSD partitions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NutFlush920, Apr 3, 2018.

1. NutFlush920 macrumors regular

I have an external SSD that I have Windows 10 on 1 partition and gonna possibly put Sierra on another partition. I know WinClone Standard will image the Windows partition for easy restore if I mess something up but will WinClone also image the Sierra partition for easy restore too if needed?

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

I don't think WinClone can image the Sierra partition but you can always ask their support to make sure. However, CCC should be able to. www.bombich.com

3. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

I asked them via email and they said it would but after I purchased and tried I found out it doesn’t.

So what I am doing now is making a dmg image of my Sierra partition using Disk Utility and using WinClone Standard to image the Win10 BootCamp partition. Kinda sucks there isn’t a “all in one” app but that’s life I guess.

4. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Yeah, I didn't think WinClone (at least from what I've read) could image a macOS partition. My understanding of how it works is that it does make an image of the Boot Camp partition so that it can be restored if problems occur. I do recommend that you get hold of Carbon Copy Cloner and use it for backing up. Excellent app.