Cloning Hard drive trouble

Discussion in 'macOS' started by betbet02, Feb 26, 2009.

1. betbet02 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have an ibook g4 1.33ghz (mid 05) laptop and have bout a bigger harddrive for it. I am in the process of cloning my hard drive. I have gotten as far as putting the clone on the new hard drive via a hard drive USB enclosure. I know now that g4's cannot boot from this kind of enclosure. So my question is if I were to just install the new hard drive into my ibook will it just boot up from that disk now or will it not work right? Thank you for your answers in advance. Fyi I use superduper! to clone the hard drive

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I think this will work:

Install the new drive. Put in the restore disk that came with the computer or any OS install disk and the computer will boot up to it. Plug in the hard drive. Should recognize the drive. Browse the drive, find the copy of SuperDuper on that drive, launch it, and have it clone the external drive to your new drive.

I'm about 85% certain that will work.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Before you install the drive, you need to make sure the correct type of partition map was used for formatting the new drive before the clone was done- otherwise the drive will not boot correctly even inside your iBook.

Open Disk Utility and click the new drive one time in the column on the left side. Click the line that lists your whole drive, not the partition inset under it. Look at the info at the bottom of the page and you will see where it says "Partition Map Scheme:" if you are running Leopard or "Partition Map:" if running Tiger.

In either case it needs to read "Apple Partition Map" there in order for the disk to be bootable in your iBook. If it does read that, then you should be good to go!

4. betbet02 thread starter macrumors newbie

i will try this for sure!! Thanks alot!! Do i need to erase everything on the new hard drive before I do that or keep the clone on it? And what if I dont have an install disc? Would there be any other way? thanks again!!!

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I could be guessing wrong from the OP, but I think they already have a clone done.

I just wanted to mention for future reference that the idea you had about doing a SuperDuper backup that way wouldn't work- as when you boot up from an OS Install disk you never get to a point in the installer where you can browse other disks- you can only run Disk Utilities and such from the Utilities menu. In this case that would not be a problem though as the OP could (and probably did) just boot from their normal drive and run SuperDuper from there.

6. betbet02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am doing all the work on the old hard drive still in the computer ( that is what you are saying, right?) And I do have the clone already on the new drive. So you are saying that I will not be able to use the method above correct?

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just checking the partition map type can be done from the Disk Utility program on your normal hard drive-- there is no need to use an installer disk. And no there is no need to remove anything. I just want you to use Disk Utility to check the type of partition map your new drives shows (the one you cloned to) to make sure it is right before you bother installing it..

8. betbet02 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i got it now. so if i do install the new HD do u think it will work?

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, it seems like we are just going in circles so I will leave it a this- IF you check the partition type on the new drive and it says "Apple Partition Map" I think it will work fine. If it says anything else, it will not work and will have to be reformatted correctly and the SuperDuper clone to it will have to be completed again.

Good luck!

10. betbet02 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK got it i will try today n post the outcome

thanks!