Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Carbon Copy Cloner will do exactly what you want. Just uncheck folders you don't want copied.

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 10.32.28 AM.png

robcrouch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
great, the only thing is, I did an
Carbon Copy Cloner will do exactly what you want. Just uncheck folders you don't want copied.

View attachment 642983

great! the only thing is, i did an exact copy once with carbon copy cloner and for some reason it wasn't bootable when I tried it on another mac.... any reason why?

Thanks

Rob

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
great, the only thing is, I did an

great! the only thing is, i did an exact copy once with carbon copy cloner and for some reason it wasn't bootable when I tried it on another mac.... any reason why?

Thanks

Rob
You may have unchecked something critical like that System folder for example. That needs to be there to run the OS.

Also, what model Macs and was OS X versions was this. For example, you would not be able to clone Yosemite to a drive then boot a 2015 iMac form it since Yosemite would not have the drivers.

robcrouch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
You may have unchecked something critical like that System folder for example. That needs to be there to run the OS.

Also, what model Macs and was OS X versions was this. For example, you would not be able to clone Yosemite to a drive then boot a 2015 iMac form it since Yosemite would not have the drivers.

No i did an exact clone (so didn't uncheck any files or folders) it was el capitan on a 2015 macbook pro. I then did the exact sae with super duper and it worked no problems.... which is why i was skeptical of CCC....

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
No i did an exact clone (so didn't uncheck any files or folders) it was el capitan on a 2015 macbook pro. I then did the exact sae with super duper and it worked no problems.... which is why i was skeptical of CCC....
Hmm... dunno. Lot's of forum members on here including me use CCC all the time and I have not seen any posts about them not being bootable. I can't think where you might have gone wrong.

Reactions: 997440

robcrouch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Hmm... dunno. Lot's of forum members on here including me use CCC all the time and I have not seen any posts about them not being bootable. I can't think where you might have gone wrong.

ok thanks, ill give it another go now, fingers crossed....

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
OP: I'm curious why you are asking alternative software, you can exclude folders from SuperDuper by editing copy script after you have purchased SuperDuper?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Also, Decimus Synk.

If you find that deltas with Carbon Copy Cloner are unacceptably slow, then you may find that Synk is a little better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.