Cloning HFS+... On Windows/Other

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dr.Pants, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Yes, I just had to ask. One of my friend down in the Southwest recently sold his MacPro and made a HDD backup of his data while he waits for his new machine - in the meantime, he only had one hard drive to make the backup and is getting pretty paranoid about it failing.

So, the question is, can one clone the HDD in Windows? Or, for that matter, could they clone the drive with a Linux/Solaris LiveCD? I would do it, but we live several hundred miles apart.=

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is he actually using the drive? I have never heard of a drive failing from spending too long sitting around, except under abnormal environmental conditions. I have two drives next to me right now, both other 10 years old, both in perfect working order after 8 years of disuse.

Far be it for me to discourage backing up, but I don't think he has a lot to be concerned about.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would probably be more concerned about someone screwing it up by not knowing what they were doing than having it sit around unused at this point.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Dr.Pants thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well, thanks for the information; however, the drive in question is not a spring chicken, and that's the source of his irritation.