Cloning Mac/XP dual boot system

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bluphysted, May 7, 2008.

1. bluphysted macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've read quite a few threads on Disaster Recovery methods for cloning Mac system drives, but few, if any, seemed to state the requirement to clone the ENTIRE drive, OS X *and* XP partitions.

I have a number of dual booting Mac laptops (used in XP mostly), that I need to image for quick recovery.

For PCs, I boot with WinPE and use Ghost32. Works like a charm.

Any suggestions?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Alas, there is no single tool I know of that can do this. A combination of tools, however, WILL work. You can use Winclone for the Boot Camp partition, and Carbon Copy Cloner for the Mac partition. Both the clone and restore operations are relatively straightforward, since the two tools have similar interfaces (if you understand one, you'll pick up the other quickly).

4. Peaceful macrumors member

Peaceful

So I'm curious. If you use those two tools separately, how does the recovery procedure go?

Do you have to use BootCamp assistant to partition the new hard drive correctly before you can restore?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Recovery works something like this:
    Boot from the clone of the Mac
    Clone it to the drive
    Boot from the drive you just cloned to
    Use Boot Camp Assistant to get the partition step done, cancel out of the installation
    Using Winclone, clone the image file it created to the Boot Camp partition

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

This would also work: http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

However, it doesn't work for everyone, i also don't know if it can boot macs.

7. aki macrumors 6502a

thanks for link to winclone....that is exactly what i need or what i will need when my imac comes.............after using virtualpc a lot i am used to easy copy and store of my windows installs and winclone can do the same yay!!

8. 3rdfinger macrumors newbie

3rdfinger

for a larger scale solution... (5 or more macs) i'd suggest netbooting the machines.

www.bombich.com

You're going to need a Leopard Server, a separate partition (running leopard with enough room to hold the clones) and NetRestore to pull it all off.

(that website also has Carbon Copy Cloner)

I haven't tried it yet, but i've heard it will let you automate a full restore including a bootcamp partition. :cool:

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Hardware clone. :)

I tested this with my drive from my Macbook Pro a few months ago to see if it was possible to clone from a smaller to a larger drive and in theory, it worked fine. I was able to clone my 80GB original drive to a 100GB drive and place the drive in my laptop and everything worked fine, the windows partition became larger on the new drive. I used my Logiccube Sonix device for this, if you can get your hands on one, it shoudl do the trick.