Cloning Macbook (C2D) to Macbook (SR)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Littleodie914, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I have a year-old Macbook, the 2.0GHz White model that I use for college, and our family iMac just died, so we're heading out to buy a new computer.

We're planning on one of the white SR Macbooks, with the X3100, and since my family just uses the computer to browse the internet, post things on eBay, etc. they've been kind enough to trade laptops. :)

So, my question, is whether there's a way to do a direct clone, so that the new SR Macbook will have the same data, partitions, everything, as my current, older Macbook. Then once they're both "equal," I'd wipe my old one, and let the fam put all of their stuff on it.

Can this be done? I'm really concerned about certain Eclipse functionality, which I use for work, and installed ANT libraries, tomcat installations, etc. I basically need an exact copy of what's on my HD, transferred to the new Macbook. TIA! :D

2. crzdmniac macrumors regular

I did a move from a Macbook C2D to a MBP SR and from what I remember it went fairly smooth. I believe I had to insert the MBP restore disks after the clone, but besides that my data was kept intact. Also note that this was pre-leopard.

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

4. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

That was my last-ditch effort, as I've got a lot of extra Java libraries hidden in the system folder, I've made changes to the .hosts file, and other minute stuff like that I've probably forgotten about. :)

That's why I was hoping there was an automated way of "cloning" everything, like preferences, iChat accounts, etc. Is this how the Migration Assistant works? I've never actually used it before, and I'm wondering how "thorough" it is.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I tried the same thing using Superduper but the drivers were too different (how I miss the old G4/G5 days when I could boot my PB from a drive in the G5 lab).

So I used the migration tool and it brought all the applications and my accounts with all the settings. I did not have some of the apps you mentioned so I don't know how they would be impacted.

Worked fine for everything I use.

Cheers,

6. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Yes, it can transfer everything from user accounts, apps ect... I did this on Christmas with my MacBook and my old PowerBook G3.

7. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I've always used the migration assistant (ok... not ALWAYS, since it hasn't been around that long, but for my tibook to my macbook pro (although that time I changed things around a bit obviously) but most recently with my macbook pro CD to my macbook pro SR C2D and it transfered EVERYTHING perfectly. Not one hiccup, and everything remained the same as far as preferences etc, even the partitions i made for VMware worked.

Perhaps other people haven't had luck, but in my opinion the "do you have a mac already?" dialog and the "yes I want to transfer" click click click DONE is the best way :)

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The only requirement is Leopard if you want to clone.