Cloning my ENTIRE OS X (Yosemite) to RAID 0 Disk

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheHerdForever, Aug 2, 2015.

1. TheHerdForever macrumors member

TheHerdForever

After doing some research here and on Google about cloning my current OS X drive to a RAID 0 drive, I'm still lost. Can someone please advise me (using simple steps) that will allow me to copy my entire contents (including the hidden recovery Yosemite partition) to the new RAID 0 drive I have created on my Mac Pro 5,1 workstation? I tried to use the latest copy of CCC and for some reason, it didn't copy over the hidden Yosemite partition after cloning the RAID 0 drive. Thanks!

2. Euphoria227 macrumors newbie

A Recovery partition cannot be created on RAID volumes.

3. TheHerdForever thread starter macrumors member

TheHerdForever

Yeap...that' what I found out. I also found something else out which stinks. You can NOT add another disk(s) to a RAID 0 set. Not good in my case. Have to do some work-arounds to use all 4 SSDs in my Mac Pro. o_O

4. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Recovery does not need to be on the boot drive, recovery has never been supported on arrays, you always need a bootable backup anyway which you have and has recovery partition. No problems.

5. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

Not sure if I understand the scenario, but I assume you have a current volume with your OSX and a new (empty) RAID 0 volume (setup with Apple Disk utility) that you want to clone to, then remove the original Yosemite volume and boot from the RAID 0?

What I do is boot off a Yosemite bootable USB stick. Run Disk Utility from the install menu, and use the RESTORE function to clone the original Yosemite volume to the new RAID 0 volume. Once the clone is done, shut down, remove the original Yosemite drive, and boot holding the OPTION key and choose the new RAID 0 boot volume.

Magic done. That's how I did mine when I had two Apricorn Velocity Solo X2 cards w/SSD's setup as a Apple RAID 0 volume, cloned from a SSD in one of the SATA bays.