Cloning My Harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dgerch, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dgerch macrumors member

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum for this question. I just ordered a faster drive for my MBP and I want to clone my old one. I need to do this correctly, as the data on my old drive is very important. I do have an external hd (a passport). Would the easiest way be just to copy all of the contents of my original drive to the passports to my new drive?

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I would put the new drive in one of the passport enclosures temporarily and then use carbon copy cloner.

Just make sure after the new drive is in and booted that you repair disk permissions and select the new drive as the startup disk in system preferences (even if your system recognizes and boots from it)

3. dgerch thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your quick responses! That's what I'll do. The only thing is, I'm not really sure how to open the passport to use the enclosure.... there aren't any screws or anything. Should I just try to pry it open with a screwdriver or something?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it would be good to buy an enclosure. You can put the new drive in the enclosure, then clone from the internal drive to the new drive, then simply swap the drives. Your old internal now becomes a new external drive that you can use for backups and additional storage.

5. dgerch thread starter macrumors member

Awesome. Can you recommend an enclosure? Thanks again.

6. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

A lot of local computer stores sell them for $10-20. I bought a USB 2 enclosure from the cheap bin at NCIX Vancouver for $5 and it's been going strong for 2 years. nGear :p

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OWC makes good enclosures.