Cloning of HDD to Upgrade MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SteinMaster, Sep 1, 2010.

1. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I am going to upgrade my MacBook Pro and needed some advise for bringing over my Bootcamp partition and VMWare. I currently back-up my HDD via SuperDuper clone. This only clones my Mac and does not include my Windows 7 partition (Bootcamp). I also have my Bootcamp partition virtualized through VMWare. Does anyone have a suggestion how I can bring over my Bootcamp and VM to the new MacBook? Will my VMWare and Windows applications work on the new MacBook Pro regarding licensing issues (i.e. can only load MS Office on three computers under current licensing).

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

WinClone will clone make a .dmg (Disk IMage) of your Windows 7 BC partition. The Windows VM will be backed up via the cloning process, as EVERY file on your Mac OS X partition gets cloned.

I don't know about licensing of Windows though, but as it is an exact copy, it should work.

3. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I just remembered Disk Utility. I used it to create a disk image of my Bootcamp partition. I did this to backup and restore it to a new MBP. Is there a reason why this is not typically used vs. third party apps (i.e. WinClone)? I realize that using Disk Utility does not use incremental back-ups, which I do not care due to the small size of my partition. If anyone knows of any negatives using Disk Utility to clone and restore to a new computer, please advise. Thanks!