Cloning old HDD to new HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SandboxGeneral, Oct 19, 2010.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I am thinking of getting a new HDD for my MBP and am wondering if there is an easy way to clone the current HDD or just copy the OS and preferences from the old HDD to the new one.

I'm thinking right now, that I'll just copy my applications, preferences and documents over to a folder on my iMac and then transfer them back to the new HDD on the MBP.

Are there any better ways that what I am thinking?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Look into CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper for cloning advice.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Spinnerlys' post explains all but to sum things up, get an external enclosure > put the new drive in it > clone with CCC > put the new drive in the MBP > enjoy

If you have an external HD, you could make a TM backup to it and then restore from a TM backup when you have installed the new drive (saves you the cost of enclosure)

4. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I do back up regularly with TM. So then, after I put in the new HDD and install OS/X I can connect my TM external HDD and do a restore?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, either vie Setup Assistant during the original installation or via Migration Assistant after you created your account and have logged into it.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would do it with the Setup Assistant because if you do it afterwards, you can get into issues with usernames (I have experience with this, I installed 10.6 three times because I used the same username and Home folder name as in my TM backup and it refused to do it or something).

7. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sweet! That sounds great.

Why is it so easy?! It was never this easy when I was a Windows guy!
    :D

8. MrMoore macrumors 6502

To restore from a TM backup.

Connect your Time Machine backup disk to your computer.
    Insert your Mac OS X Install disk, and double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.
    In the Installer, choose Utilities > Restore System from Backup.
    In the Restore Your System dialog, click Continue.
    Select your Time Machine backup volume.
    Select the Time Machine backup you want to restore.

You could also get an enclosure and CarbonCopy to make an exact copy. After you clone the drive and swap, you could use the old hard drive as a spare external. That is what I did when I upgraded my MBP's hard drive.

9. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Does anyone have a recommendation on which HDD to buy for my MBP? I want a 7200RPM and about 500GB of storage. I saw this recommendation on another thread yesterday that I am considering.

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

The easiest and most trouble free way is migration assistant. It will automatically run after the installation of OS X is done on your new HDD. Just take your old HD and put it in a usb enclosure and connect. It will take a lot of time though, for around 150GB it took 4 hours. It was copying to a new SSD though. So I assume with a new HD, it will be a bit longer.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Seagate Momentus is good, plenty of MR members have it.

12. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Good deal. I'll be ordering it and that RAM you recommended on Friday.
    Thanks.
    :)

13. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

First of all I just want to say I love this website and the Forum is full of helpful and very very knowledgeable people who dedicate their time to help others by sharing their info.

I have personally used Cabon Copy Cloner (free by the way), Migration Assistant as well as a Time Machine back up.

All have their purpose and work quite well. The last thing I used was Migration Assistant (about an hour ago as a matter of fact) and I really liked it. I am about to sell my wives 13 and giving her a 15. I have already went through and set up the new computer and did the Migration Assistant after the fact.

It brought over everything from her 13, programs, settings, preferences. Once I did I went into accounts and deleted the one I made when I first set up the 15 ... a previous poster had said something about username / home folder name issues. This solved that problem.

Good luck and I hope I was somewhat helpful.

14. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Hello,

I just bought my first MacBook Pro (20+ years with Windows) and am looking to upgrade my hard drive as well.

I do have my MacBook hard drive all set the way I want it with Snow Leopard and BootCamp/Windows 7. I would of course like to keep it all exactly in-tact post upgrade without having to reinstall either OS. I don't believe TimeMachine will cover the Windows 7 partition though.

Is there a program out there that will allow me to make an image of the entire drive (both OS partitions and whatever boot record info) to a USB drive and then simply restore it to the new drive in the MacBook? Thanks!

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

16. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Thanks for the quick reply! Bummer there's no single image solution. I'll check out SuperDuper.

On my Windows machines, I've used Acronis TrueImage Home for a few years with perfect success every time. I'd imagine I could use that for the Boot Camp/Windows 7 partition, correct?

17. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

As far as I know, the only thing that can clone a Bootcamp partition is WinClone.

18. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I love Macintosh!

Well I am typing this on my MBP after upgrading the RAM yesterday to 4GB (3GB utilized) and today upgrading to the Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200RPM HDD. Everything went perfectly smoothly from start to finish and had no glitches at all. I installed OS/X Snow Leopard and then restored from a Time Machine backup which I made sure to run right before I started "surgery." All that is left is to run Software Update and get all the latest patches again. Snow Leopard even recognized my Logitech Performance MX mouse from the disc right from initial boot up after installing the fresh unformatted HDD - that was very nice.

I love it when technology works like it was meant to. I've done countless Windows upgrades and installs where things didn't go so well and frustration occassionally translated to physical aggression on the hardware! :eek:

I do know Mac's aren't perfect, but so far in my experience, they're much closer to perfect than their Windows counterparts.

Thank you :apple: for great software and hardware and thank you to Hellhammer for the advice on upgrading.

19. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for an enclosure for my old 120GB HDD? If they make one, I'd prefer a firewire enclosure.

20. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

OtherWorldComputing.com

As for the cloning, I used SuperDuper. This product is amazing!

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't pay the price for FW800 enclosure as you only have 120GB 5400rpm drive so I doubt it would be able to take full advantage of FW800. This is decent and cheapish. FW800 enclosure is easily over 50 bucks

22. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've been using this one for quite some time. I think it's a great enclosure. Solid.