Cloning OS X Install CDs

alfista

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
My iMac likes to toss CD's when ejecting them so I'd like to make a backup copy of my system software. I've tried DiscBlaze 6.1.6 which appears to be able to make an proper ISO of the CD, but I cannot boot from it. Any tips?

Thanks!

Jason

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
My iMac likes to toss CD's when ejecting them so I'd like to make a backup copy of my system software. I've tried DiscBlaze 6.1.6 which appears to be able to make an proper ISO of the CD, but I cannot boot from it. Any tips?

Thanks!

Jason
How are you trying to boot from the .iso, You'll need to burn it to a disk. I have copied an install disk before but using the built in disk utility and it worked fine.

alfista

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
How are you trying to boot from the .iso, You'll need to burn it to a disk. I have copied an install disk before but using the built in disk utility and it worked fine.
Yeah, guess I skipped that part. I burned the ISO back to a CD-R using DiscBlaze as well. Booting from the original CD works fine, but not the image.

alfista

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
I'm not sure I'm using the right tools, so if there's something better (pref=free) then please feel free to recommend!

weckart

macrumors 601
Nov 7, 2004
The only thing that will work is Disk Utility, if you want to make an image. Lock the image immediately (right click on dmg image >Get Info >tick "locked"). If you mount it before you lock it, it will no longer be bootable after you burn it to disk.

Nothing else will make a bootable disk image; not DiscBlaze nor Toast. Use these only if you want to copy directly from disk to disk.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
The only thing that will work is Disk Utility, if you want to make an image. Lock the image immediately (right click on dmg image >Get Info >tick "locked"). If you mount it before you lock it, it will no longer be bootable after you burn it to disk.

Nothing else will make a bootable disk image; not DiscBlaze nor Toast. Use these only if you want to copy directly from disk to disk.
Thanks that was really helpful. A Mod should make a sticky out of this.:apple:

alfista

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Also, keep in mind that the install CDs are probably DVDs.
Thanks for all the help...still trying to get DiskUtility working right for this.

They are in fact CDs originally provided by apple for a CD-only G4 imac.