Cloning OS X Install CDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alfista, Jul 10, 2007.

1. alfista macrumors member

My iMac likes to toss CD's when ejecting them so I'd like to make a backup copy of my system software. I've tried DiscBlaze 6.1.6 which appears to be able to make an proper ISO of the CD, but I cannot boot from it. Any tips?

Thanks!

Jason

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

How are you trying to boot from the .iso, You'll need to burn it to a disk. I have copied an install disk before but using the built in disk utility and it worked fine.

3. alfista thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, guess I skipped that part. I burned the ISO back to a CD-R using DiscBlaze as well. Booting from the original CD works fine, but not the image.

4. alfista thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure I'm using the right tools, so if there's something better (pref=free) then please feel free to recommend!

5. weckart macrumors 68040

The only thing that will work is Disk Utility, if you want to make an image. Lock the image immediately (right click on dmg image >Get Info >tick "locked"). If you mount it before you lock it, it will no longer be bootable after you burn it to disk.

Nothing else will make a bootable disk image; not DiscBlaze nor Toast. Use these only if you want to copy directly from disk to disk.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Also, keep in mind that the install CDs are probably DVDs.

7. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Thanks that was really helpful. A Mod should make a sticky out of this.:apple:

8. alfista thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help...still trying to get DiskUtility working right for this.

They are in fact CDs originally provided by apple for a CD-only G4 imac.