Cloning PPC onto Intel Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pianodude123, Nov 26, 2008.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Hi. I have a powerbook with leopard installed. If I want to take my disk image how it is now on my powerbook, and run it from my new macbook pro, would that be possible? Or is my version of OS X only for PPC

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Where would you get the Intel drivers for the MacBook pro if you use an image from a PPC?

4. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Isnt that the point of OS X that i dont need to worry about drivers?

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You are kind of missing the point of "Universal". It means that no matter what processor you're using the OS X software will be able to handle it. Not to mention, they're are no drivers per se that you have any control over. I honestly don't know how it is handled in OS X, but I know that stuff like Video Drivers or Audio Drivers are not something you have to deal with (or if you can even).

6. cube macrumors G4

Besides the lack of hardware options, this is one of the main issues holding me back from upgrading.

I thought that maybe it would be possible to clone the disk and then install OSX over it without reformatting. If you try it out, tell us how it goes!

7. belvdr macrumors 601

The only problem I see are the drivers. I thought the new MBP's came with a disc that contained special drivers for them. Thus cloning an old PB to a new MBP may not have the correct drivers for anything.

Also, I don't think every Mac system has every driver for every system installed on it.

On a side note, this where Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Server comes in really handy in the PC world. You can move an image to any machine (physical or virtual) you want.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

belvdr, that's what I was thinking. There's probably some hardware specific stuff related to the newer MacBooks that's not installed on the older PPC systems. I wasn't thinking of drivers in the Windows sense, but EFI interfaces. It might work, but if it doesn't you might have to reinstall on the new system.

9. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Leopard, while still on it's install discs, IS universal, in that it will install on either PPC or intel macs.

However, once installation begins, only the necessary code is written to the HDD........therefore, a completed PPC installation will NOT run on an intel mac & vice versa........

What would be the point ? if you're gonna reinstall, cloning would just be a waste of your time. Plus you don't have to reformat just to reinstall the OX......just use "archive & install" :p

10. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Just ethernet them and use the migration wizard. Gives you all settings, files and applications without the fuss.

11. cube macrumors G4

The point would be that only the OS would be overwritten. All your third-party applications and files scattered all over the place would remain there.

Archive & Install is not a solution, as this only takes care of some standard places (home directory and what?)

As I understand, this works only for people who don't put anything out of the basic directories.

12. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Well - i tried it using CCC, and it did not work. The macbook pro boots up to the flashing folder icon for a while, then finds an OS and tries to load it and then crashes and restarts...

... waste of 4 hours... :/

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It should work fine within either PPC machines or intel machines. The issue with drivers is true but not something big. Sometimes apple will release a new machine with a different build of the OS to include drivers. However, after the next update to OS X this fixes the problem and all intel disks can be cloned to other systems.

14. chipchen macrumors 6502

No, it won't work. The drive needs to be formatted using the GUID Partition Table, and the PowerBook is most likely still formatted using the Apple Partition Map.

I would just use the Migration Assistant, it's never failed me before, and Apple has done a great job updating it and making it even more kick ass. I haven't ever seen a file missing... (then again, I don't do anything crazy like create hidden and invisible folders, etc.)