Cloning same OSX on 2 Macs Sierra???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gr8putt, Mar 5, 2018.

1. gr8putt macrumors newbie

gr8putt

If the (Sierra) MacintoshHD on one MacBook Pro is CarbonCopy-cloned to a 2nd MacPro, will there be issues with Machine ID data, 3rd party App authentication, etc.? I've doing this manually for a few years now, keeping an every-updating "to do" list - so the MBP can go be a mobile and the MacPro stays in the studio.

How "labor Intensive" would it be to Identify/ manage any issues, remove them from the CCC backups?

Anyone tried this?

Thanks.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I don't think there'd really be any issues really. I've tried booting my iMac from my MacBook Pro's drive, and everything just worked. It wasn't a clone - it was just booting the iMac from the drive in the MBP. (also tried vice versa)

3. gr8putt thread starter macrumors newbie

gr8putt

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I've done it with several OS X versions, going back to Mavericks I think and up to Sierra

5. gr8putt thread starter macrumors newbie

gr8putt

Thanks again. One source, although older Mac OS could do this, wasn't sure if this was possible with Sierra.

6. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I believe I've done it up to Sierra. At the very least, definitely El Capitan, but quite sure I've done it with Sierra as well.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The OS will work just fine, but some apps have the registration linked to hardware, so if you clone the drive to a new Mac the apps will see they are on different hardware and require registration. MS and Adobe apps particularly are known for this.

8. gr8putt thread starter macrumors newbie

gr8putt

I've CCC-ed everything and will do a Time Machine, so there will be files I can find if anything gets compromised. Thanks for all the advice, will give it a go tomorrow.

9. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Just try it first with a CCC cloned backup.
    Let us know how it goes.