Cloning TM Backup to bigger drive?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by yippi, Mar 8, 2014.

1. yippi macrumors member

Hi. I need to backup my TM Backups.backupdb from a 3TB to a 4TB drive. If possible I wouldn't like to create a completely new backupdb on the new drive, but use the backup from the old drive.

Is there a way to clone the TM backupdb to the new drive and have Time Machine associate the original source drive with the cloned backupdb?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. yippi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I did what's recommended there and TM accepted the drive. However, when I try to open TM to recover an earlier file, TM doesn't show or open backups from earlier dates. I have to find the file by going through the backup folders manually. Why is this?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't know. If you can see the files manually, obviously they got moved over. So you just can't see then through the TM interface?

5. yippi thread starter macrumors member

Yes, right. The TM Interface just covers the time when I did the re-setup.

p.s.: Sorry for the delay...

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You might need to do in Finder : Cmd + Shift + c (=Go to...Computer), then enter Time Machine.

Here is what I assume you currently see, on the left, and on the right what you will see if you do Cmd + Shift +c, OR if you click on the name of the computer once you have entered Time Machine :

[​IMG] [​IMG]