Cloning to and ext drive but not losing data already on that drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rgleason, Feb 21, 2008.

1. rgleason macrumors newbie

rgleason

Hey Guys,
    I have been trying to do some research to find out the answer to my question but I have so far come up empty handed. My question is this: I have a 500 GB external FW drive that I use to both back up my internal hard drive with Personal Backup (not as a clone, just as a backup) and to just store things that I do not need on the internal drive in my Powerbook. I am looking to upgrade to Leopard in the next week and would like to do an erase and install. I was wondering if in order to clone my current drive running Tiger (10.4.11) I would need to completely erase my external drive and partition it to two volumes and create a volume to be a bootable clone and a volume for just regular stuff that I don't want on my Powerbook's internal drive? I really cannot lose the extra things that I store on the external drive but I would like to have a bootable copy of my current drive on it before upgrading. Any advice or clarification of this process and what I would need to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yes, split it into two partitions, use one partition for cloning and the other for regular backups. You can do the backups with Carbon Copy Cloner (I do, in fact).

You can also partition the drive without completely erasing it first if you follow these instructions (I did, and I've got my external in three partitions).