Cloning Vs. Fresh Install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chocolate Baby, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Chocolate Baby macrumors member

When I first got my Macbook Pro I cloned a 250Gb in the result of a major crash. Since then it has been sitting in a 2.5 enclosure in my drawer. I never imagined that I would use as my primary drive, it was just an afterthought. I wanted to switch to a larger drive and I was going to clone it to save time. Has anyone run into issues with a clone as their primary drive? In short is a cloned drive going perform the same as a fresh install?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I go the fresh install route, mostly so I can be sure that my ~/Library and /Library folders are fairly clean. Additionally, if there's some issues with my installation, then those issues will be reintroduced with the cloning option.

3. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I second that, I always do a fresh install even though it is a little time consuming.

I do have one question a little off the path here, how are the new 13 uMBP with the 2.53/4/250 notebooks, I see a few here with them, and I am wondering if the issues with the Sata II 1.5GB issues were corrected and how is the Audio on the new one since it only has one port

4. christurbo macrumors regular

Your boot files will be re written in a different order/format when you clone.

This will make boot up time longer.

This can be cured with an archive + install.