Cloning Windows problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OrangeSVTguy, May 14, 2014.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I'm trying to clone my Windows SSD to a larger one and all my attempts have failed as none of the clones will boot up in the Macbook Pro.

I have tried both Norton Ghost 15 and Macrimm Reflect. Is there something I'm just not doing right? :confused: I'm completely stumped.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Yep. Neither of those will work on a Mac. You need Winclone to do it. It's not free, but it's a seamless tool to clone Windows install on Macs.
    http://twocanoes.com/winclone

3. mtasquared macrumors regular

mtasquared

Seconded. I was able to transfer my bootcamp partition to a brand new SSD using Winclone as chrfr said. It did not go smoothly or by the book. At one point I had the bootcamp partition cloned to a new SSD but it would not boot, just as in your situation. What I did was boot from the Windows install disk in the optical drive (hold down "C"), choose English as language, then click "Repair Windows". Amazingly (for Microsoft), the software detected the bootcamp installation, installed the boot loader, and then I could boot from it. BTW, it said it could not repair the installation, but it actually did because it is working perfectly. That's Windows for you.

Here are some instructions that I found helpful. johnbeales.com/2011/transferring-osx-bootcamp-to-new-hard-drive/

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

WinClone is well worth the reasonable price. :cool:

I have used it to flawlessly move windows from disks to SSDs, both internal and external Thunderbolt, and it has never let me down.

After the clone ... it is an excellent Windows backup solution so you can easily re-install after a failure of your Windows installation.

-howard

5. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Awesome. I haven't used WinClone since like the 10.6(?) days when I used it to successfully clone Windows XP drives. I totally forgot about it! Thanks so much! :D

Well I just cloned my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 256gb ssd to a 480gb ssd and it booted right up after a chkdsk and is right now running flawlessly and with the additional space. I already had WinClone Pro too which worked with Windows 7 clone perfectly. What a huge relief to be finally cloned over to my larger drive.

You all get a free intewebz cookie :cool: