Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by MacBandit
This is what I have been wanting all along. Wouldn't it be nice if you lost your arm or leg or other extremely valuable appendage if they could clone it and attach a perfectly knew undamaged one. Also since it's your genetic match there should be no organ rejection. This would also be nice for human skin as skin grafts don't always look the best.

Having a separately cloned appendage transplanted in would not be the best cure to the situation. Clones tend to be weaker and more susceptible to disease. Let's say you transplanted one of your cloned kidneys in. It probably wouldn't be as capable as your originals.

What I think would be better would be stem cells. Let's say that you have a damaged liver. Inserting stem cells may cause them to develop into liver cells (they tend to develop into cells of the type near them) and would repair your liver.

I guess this wouldn't help if you lost and arm or a leg, but then again, how much would it help to have a spare arm or leg sitting around. To actually attach that arm or leg is not an easy task. I imagine it would be more difficult than transplanting an actual organ. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by tazo
This leads me to ask one question: Will these scientists keep going, and going, and going? :cool:

Seriously though I think cloning of this kind should be outlawed because should this become mainstream horrible things could happen. A jaguar and a human? Steve Jobs? ;)

Agreed. This cloning thing is scary. It does, IMO, nedd to be outlawed. We are creating our own demise.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by MrMacman
Please explain the moral issue...

Is it biblical?

It it socal?

You didn't state why it was morally wrong.

I think it is morally wrong on every single level that can exist. I just think that it is massively wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.