Close a program on clicking red cross

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GuillaumeB, Dec 9, 2008.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

is there a tweak or a third party add-on that would change the behavior of the redcross. i would like the running software on Mac OS X to completely shut down when i click on the red circle of the top bar ?

Ben on Mac OS X for a year and a half but can get used to that behavior

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Not that there isn't one, but I haven't heard of it. Best to close app all the way click on its name in the bar, and click exit.

The only thing the red X or red dot closes completely, is Systems Preferences

Edit - There is always the option of with the program open, click Command Q and it will close the fore front program. I tend to use this method more than anything else.

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I agree.

The Command+Q key combo is probably the easiest and quickest way to completely shutdown an app.

I use Command+tab to see all my open apps, then holding down the command key and repeatedly hitting the tab key I can move to the apps I want to completely quit out of and then while still holding the command key i hit the 'Q' key to quit that app.

Best,

Brian

4. feuerschlange macrumors regular

The Mac behaviour drove me nuts too after coming from WinXP!

After I learned the most importand Mac shortcuts, this is not an issue anymore (I am a shortcut guy anyway and prefer a direct access to a function by using a globally assigned shortcut).

I use command + Q and command + W alot!