Close all Applications in multitask bar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laid-Back, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Laid-Back macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Am I alone ( not in life ;)) but in the frustration I have not being able to close all! open applications in the multi tasking bar in one go? I'm not a developer but would assume being able to close all open/idol applications in the task bar would be common sense? Why oh why do you have to close each indivdual one? Or am I just being stupid (quite possible) I mean is there a way to do so ?

I can understand it doesn't really matter.....Unless possibly you have a safari page open with eg BBC sport page which consistenlty refreshes & may use you data usage (I'm not sure that's even the case & may only refresh when you re-open). But just WHY do you have to close them individually...? Why not have the option to close individually or all?

Anyone with simalar thoughts or feedback please write back

Cheers,

laid-back

2. jackblack73 macrumors newbie

Just because they're in that bar doesn't mean they're open. Those are just the most recent apps used.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Right, that is NOT a multi-tasking bar. It is a task-switcher and those apps listed aren't necessarily already open. I will say that with iOS4 multitasking I am running low on RAM at times, and there are times when the phone gets a bit slow and I have to manually start closing apps. With SBSettings this is a lot more feasible than not knowing anything about what's going on in Apple's model. Multi-tasking could still use some work...

4. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Unless your mail app happens to be one of them, in which case, it STILL receives email, despite having fetch set to manual. :)

5. Laid-Back thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for you responses so far :) I appreciate they may not be open. I just don't know why they give you the functionality to close individually but not all at once? They let you close individual, therefore there's obviously a reason to wish to close..... But why do they make me do all the work & not just have an option to close all etc.... It may sound panicity but just seems straight forward . L-b

6. Simbazz macrumors regular

I know they're not open, I know they don't affect the phone massively but still, I find myself closing the list of apps a few times a day. Its just what I do.

So yes, a "close all," button of some contraption would be massively helpful.

7. DJUK macrumors member

DJUK

i usually close all the apps in the bar because it helps with the battery life

8. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

Would be better if you could toggle the original dbl tap with the app bar dbl tap, that bar is only really handy for the last 4 apps, and maybe the 5th - 8th apps, but its quicker to get to them via the normal springboard in a lot of situations.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not necessarily. Closing calculator, for example, will do nothing for your battery life. Everyone needs to break the habit of worrying which apps are in the tray, I was guilty of it as well..

10. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

stop being OCD. you do not have to worry about what is running and not running in the multitask bar.

11. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Some of them are running, i.e. if you are listening to the iPod and close it, the music stops.

pac

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Easy to tell if something is running. There will be an icon (play or arrow) in the top status bar. No icon(s), no apps running.

13. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

What do u mean by play?

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Looks like a standard play icon a lot like ▶. Also the navigation icon looks like ➤ but facing ⬈

15. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Don't worry about it so much, iOS4 doesn't offer "real" multitasking. When it switches between applications, the ones that aren't the active application have most of their functions locked down besides a few functions. The vast majority of the time, the unlocked functions don't take that much processing power nor drain that much battery life.

16. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

No, I mean the orange iPod button. If you double tap the home button, the task switcher pops up, tap and hold on any of the icons then press the (-) to close the iPod app and the music stops

pac

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's not really how it works.

iOS4 supports 7 key multitasking functions:

1) Fast App Switching - when you close an application, its state is saved automatically so that it will open in the same place that you left it. This does not use any RAM, CPU or battery. The App isn't running when this happens - and it should for any iOS4 App.

2) Background Music - you can have ONE application running audio in the background. The iPod App is one such App. When you are playing audio in the background, the App will use less CPU and RAM than when you have that music App open.

3) Background Location - you can have a navigation application running in the background to tell you when to turn for example.

4) Background VOIP - you can use an application like Skype to hold a VOIP conversation even when you close the App.

5) Background Completion - applications can complete certain tasks in the background (such as finishing off a photo upload) for a maximum of ten minutes. There are going to be very few situations where this is happening, so you don't need to worry about battery drain from this one.

6) Push Notifications - notifications that are pushed from a remote server to the device. If you have push notifications turned on, the battery usage should be similar no matter how many Apps are using it.

7) Local Notifications - timetabled notifications that are managed by the system.

In reality, only 2,3,4 and 5 allow multiple applications to be running on an iOS 4 device.

Apple hasn't given developers enough functionality that users should be worried about closing Applications.