Close all apps/windows shortcut?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shotgun OS, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Is there a keyboard shortcut that closes all apps and windows (besides the finder)? Is there a specific way to make a shortcut that does? or a script?

Thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What you could do is create an automator workflow that can do this. What you'll do is open automator and drag the run shell script to the workflow and replace 'cat' with killall (insert program name here). Do this for all of the apps that you want quit and you have a workflow that you can run to accomplish what you want.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you really need to CLOSE them? A lot of people make use of one of the following:

- Exposé's show desktop feature, which pushes all the windows off to the edges temporarily

- If you press apple-option and click the Finder dock icon, it hides everything except Finder.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The app Quicksilver can do this.

You'll need to install Extra Scripts plug-in in the Plug-ins panel (which might require you to select Enable advanced features in the Preferences panel)...once installed, it's just a matter of summoning Quicksilver and starting to type "Quit Visible Apps"...once you get to "Quit V" then you can hit return to run the script. It won't quit any apps you have hidden, though.

5. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I run about 6-10 apps at a time, and I'd like to be able to close them all at once before I go to bed.
    Im really clueless when it comes to automator. :confused: Where can I find the run shell script? also, how come only some of my apps pop up in the automator application folder?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I made a short tutorial in the included screen captures.

Attached Files:

7. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! I'm busy with a few things right now, but right after I'm done I will test it! :D

8. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

COMMAND-W closes one window

OPTION-W closes all windows for the front app.

i accidentally opened about 50 preview windows on several occasions -- OPT-W closes them all.

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If I need to close everything, I just the Cmd+Tab to tab through each one. Once I'm on an app I want to quit, just hit (Cmd+) Q. Once you get used it, it's very quick.