Close all Safari tabs?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by ftlum, Sep 15, 2015.

1. ftlum macrumors regular

Hi all.

I'm trying out the 9.1 public beta. Is there a way to close all Safari tabs at the same time yet? From what I recall, this feature used to be available but got deleted with one of the iOS updates. I tried long pressing on one of the "X" close boxes when all tab thumbnails are shown, but that didn't do the trick.

Thanks in advance.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Nope, gotta do them one by one. I don't believe this was ever a feature.

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I don't recall that being a feature. I think you can swipe away multiple tabs at the same time, but that's as close as it gets to that. That and switching between private and non-private tabs perhaps.

4. thebrocode macrumors regular

I think it used to be available on iOS 6. They scrapped it with the new tabs design on iOS 7.

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

HOW could this be considered okay at Apple HQ?

Every single link that gets opened by other applications etc now gets added to the seemingly infinite list of tabs in Safari and the only way to clear them down is to periodically sit and go through them all closing one by one? WTF?

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

What about swiping away multiple ones at the same time?

7. papashaun macrumors member

Can go to Settings - Safari - down towards bottom is a option to clear all history and cache
    Seems to delete everything from Safari - ( if you are logged into a site eg Macrumors you would need to log in again after clearing)

8. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

It simply boggles the mind. Is there really now way to do this STILL?

9. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Not possible​
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2016 ---
    my best tip for closing all tabs as fast as possible in lieu of a proper way to do it is to scroll to the top and tap the top left close button repeatedly, you will find you can close all tabs quite quickly

10. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

You have your answer, its not possible. how many times do you want the same reply?

11. splessala macrumors newbie

splessala

Press and hold the show all windows icon at the bottom right and choose close all.

12. C DM, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That applies now as of iOS 10, but wasn't there prior to that (which is basically the timeframe that this thread is from and the iOS 9 section that it's in).

13. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

THANK YOU! I actually didn't realise this was a thing in iOS 10. I had 196 tabs open apparently

14. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Also you can do it on the Done button when already in the tab view.

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Somewhat different, but sort of related (and mostly known as it's somewhat older): you can also get a list of recently closed tabs by tapping and holding the '+' button.

16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

haha wow - thanks! i can't believe i didn't notice this feature when it went live. i had 135 tabs open.