Close Call for Lufthansa Airline Landing

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Peace, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

2. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

He should be given the Distinguised Flying Cross for that recovery.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Airline pilots always amaze me with their skill. That thing was being tossed around like a kite...

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is some serious skill to get that back up, must have been ****ing scary for all involved.

5. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Cross wind landings are always fun...In the ercoupe I flew you would have to land it in a crab (like the airplane in that video) because the rudders were linked to the ailerons.

6. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

A320 lands with 250km/h storm in Germany, nealy crashed... see video

I just saw this on CNN International. It's quite crazy :eek::eek::eek:
    The pilot did a great job in keeping the plane in one piece as the aeroplane aborted the landing.

There's a big storm system in Europe now, "Emma". The plane scraped its winglet.

Small plane in big storm, not ideal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

News article: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/03/03/germany.plane/index.html?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCText

Video: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/03/03/germany.plane/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

7. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Damn storm. My commute to work on Saturday took 2.5 hrs to go 30 km. And stupid S-Bahn too. My train lost power in a village and died.

8. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I bet there was some applause upon the second, successful landing. That would be really intense.

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

AoWolf: Was the rudder actually linked to the ailerons, or was it simply an aircraft that has a lot of roll when using rudder input?

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They are cross-linked in the Ercoupe. No rudder pedals at all so they are incapable of forward slips.

I'm not so impressed by the pilot's skill in this case. That landing should have been aborted in final approach.

11. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Last time I flew back from the US this very nearly happened, there was a sudden gust of wind just as we were touching down. I was looking out the window at the time and nearly pooed myself.

12. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wow, that is some flying skill. glad he was able to avoid a crash

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Judgement is more important than skill in flying. You only need great skill when you lack good judgment. Probably my fellow pilots on this board will agree that this was one righteously dangerous situation which never should have occurred in the first place.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Someone managed to get a really fantastic image:

[​IMG]

Edit to add: some after pics of the damage linked here

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That wouldn't have been Lars Tretau, by any chance?

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yeah, but when you've got the image location on the clipboard it's loads of hassle to open the URL to find out his name! It's 11pm here and I'm too tired to bother :p

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

I was supposed to connect to that flight into Hamburg but it was full and I couldn't get on as a non-rev. That would have been an interesting flight.

19. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Looking at the whole video--repeatedly--on CNN (from late final to the climb-out), he should've gone around as soon as he was over the fence. It looks like it wasn't just at or near the max crosswind for that aircraft, but also gusting. Plus the flare was too high (or a ton of ground effect). Either that, or he just didn't know when/how to transition properly. Bottom line, there was more "gotta get it down-itis" than was prudent.

This kind of landing--or at least the successful kind--is common at PHX on late afternoons/evenings during monsoon. Strong southerly winds and nothing but east-west runways.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've only ever been in one go-around situation in an airliner, a Southwest 737 landing in Reno in gusty cross-winds. It was pretty obvious that his approach stunk and the pilot wisely decided to abort the landing not much beyond the threshold. This was in total VMC and I imagine the pilot was cleared to a visual approach from miles out. The pilot in this Lufthansa incident was apparently dealing with even more challenging conditions but opted to go for it anyway. I'd be interested to read the investigation report but my guess is this pilot is not going to be awarded any medals.

21. vixapphire macrumors 6502

maybe the pilot needed to get it down b/c he was in fear that he was about to poo himself if he didn't get his butt to a loo?

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I probably would've pissed my pants if I were on that flight :eek:

Worst I've had was when landing at STL in some really bad storms. The plane touched down on the runway and then the pilot immediately took it back up to try another landing. I never could figure out why he did that, but having watched that video, I think I now know why.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Those cross winds make for intersting landing. Last night I was flying into dallas on Southwest with some high winds. It felt rather weird coming in.

On a south west flight last Nov. The polite aborted the landing flying into houston. Seem to get pretty low and look like he was ready to touch down when he pulled back up and went around.

24. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

That must have been really scary for the passengers aboard.

My dad has actually been in a few airline incidents
    1) Landing gear was believed not to be locked into place on small jet therefore instead of landing in CT they turned the plane around and went to JFK or Laguardia where they have longer runways and better emergency services. It turns out the landing gear was down and locked but there was some sensor error that said it wasn't.
    2) The plane slid off the runway due to ice
    3) My dad was on a flight from Canada back to the USA on 9/11 and the plane had to be grounded
    4) Something about all the interior lights going out in the plane

He really shouldn't be flying

25. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Sorry kind of off topic....

But I still don't understand why airlines put life jackets on planes I thought the more logical choice would be parachutes :confused:

And congrats to the pilot who successfully landed that plane from the looks of the landing I thought they would have been jam at the end of the runway.