Close Call.... Need Precautions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Batman89, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Batman89 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

So I have a jailbroken iPhone running on 4.3.1 and it's great.

Tonight, however, I ran into a small issue that almost ruined my night. I had installed Barrel, Five Icon Dock, Multifl0w, among others via hack repo, and I was playing around with the phone to see if everything worked.

So I lock the phone but then immediately press the home button to turn it on again as I remembered I wanted to read an email, and the phone shut me off. Then all I would get was the Apple logo. I would try to turn the phone off, but all it did was shut off and it would bring back the Apple logo.

I thought it was bricked. I read that to restore it I should connect it to iTunes holding the home button and that's what I did. "Oh god," I thought, "a restore. There goes my night."

The issue was that iTunes prompted me to download 4.3.2. "Might as well," I thought. So it's about 20% downloaded when suddenly my phone vibrates twice, as if iTunes just detected it. iTunes lets me know that there are new apps on my phone and if I want to sync them to iTunes. So I let it do it's thing and when it's finished, I push the home button and my lock screen is there! Everything! Lockinfo, all my apps, contacts, everything. And to think I was about to restore the whole damn thing!

As of right now, the phone is working fine and I'm happy that I didn't have to go through the nightmare of erasing everything and putting it back the way it was.

My question is, obviously something went wrong, but what? Why did my phone suddenly "quit" and just show me the Apple logo? Was I playing around with it too much and it just gave out? It took a good 15 minutes of it being plugged in, at least, for iTunes to recognize it as my phone. When I initially plugged it in, it just recognized it as "iPhone" and with no other options but to restore it.

Then, like I said, the phone vibrated and iTunes suddently recognized it. For what reason did this happen? And most importantly, what precautions can I take to assure that this doesn't happen again?

Thanks. :apple:

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Did you purchase Barrel and Multifl0w? If not then that's your problem - which means many on this board will have a beef w/ you, incl me.

3. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

because a 'cracked' app is going to force restart the phone :confused: :rolleyes:

Here we go again, the legitimacy of users and their apps.. little wonder these places are becoming inhabitable ;)

edit: in no way am i defending someone who may be using cracked apps, it's not my place to judge, and with the info provided i'm not quite sure how or why WhatAmI came to that conclusion. Either way it's false.

OP: I've had it happen to me before, I assumed it was just some sort of kernel crash. I don't think it happened again. If it does though, we'll need to work out whats triggering it because even if the [a] app itself did crash, mobilesubtrate (which these are a dependency of) should've kicked into safe mode.

4. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Of course everyone will enjoy a crash every now and then but asking for support when clearly stating he has cracked apps installed is fruitless - which your attempt at a response also clearly shows :rolleyes:

5. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

"I had installed Barrel, Five Icon Dock, Multifl0w, among others via hack repo"

6. EvanLugh, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

removed - i did miss the hack repo part, my bad. ;) although the point still stands.

edit: what Gen said:

7. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

The app being hacked has nothing to do with it - all of my apps are hacked and I religiously use Installous. The only thing that could make your phone crash because of a hacked app is if it's a previous version - since most hacked apps don't get updated to newer versions as fast.

OP, make sure to check you have the latest version of the app and it's compatibile with your iOS version.

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Blah on you.

It's because the apps that are cracked are often hacked in a way which makes them unstable. If an application is designed to validate whether it is cracked or not, trying to bypass this can often create stability issues. This is even more true for cracked jailbreak apps that have deeper access to the system.

And blah on you for stealing apps. As a developer who develops in my free time and whose apps have been cracked, this makes me want to club a baby harp seal.