Close calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eclipse01, Sep 15, 2015.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

So yesterday my phone dropped off my dresser (about 5-6 feet off ground) onto a wood floor (and probably hit the side molding on the way down).

Was pretty pretty sure something on my "caseless" phone was broken, when I picked it up...not a scratch.

Curious on other stories of close calls.

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I've dropped mine on my porcelain tiled kitchen floor several times in a Spigen case and got away with it. I drop mine a lot to be honest.

A mate of mine pretty much snapped his 6 Plus in half when he jumped in his car with it in his back pocket lol. Not so much a close call though that one.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've had close calls where the screen ended up okay but the aluminum body suffered scuffs/dings each time. Not a big deal as long as the screen isn't cracked/shattered.

4. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

I have had three big one.

3GS, dropped phone while walking in my house. Tried to catch it on my foot. Ended up kicking it instead. Flew up and 6feet across the room and hit a wall screen side to the wall at my head height. Bounced off and hit tile floor face down. No scratch or break.

5, wife was holding her phone out. I turned around and was gesturing wildly. I smacked her phone out of her hands downward. Did about 2 full flips and face down on concrete floor at Disney World. No scratch, no break. Just a small piece of plastic fell out from between screen and case.

5S, phone on seat of my truck, slid out of truck, phone fell on driveway corner down. No screen break, good sized dent in corner of case.

None of these had an cases on them or screen protectors.
    There have been of course been other incidents but those are the biggest crashes. Can remember.

5. laurarh macrumors regular

I climbed out of a car once and it had been in my lap so it fell to the ground straight into a snowy puddle. I still have no clue how it survived since it was fully immersed.

6. noobinator macrumors 601

I ran mine over when it was in an Apple leather case. Zero damage that I can tell.

7. adam1080 macrumors member

adam1080

Launched my 6 plus across the road while changing a tire in Costa Rica a couple months ago. It was in the leather apple case. It did a number of cartwheels and landed screen down. I was sure there would be damage somewhere, at least on the bottom of the phone not covered by the case. I was wrong...
    The leather case took the impact. It was majorly damaged but the phone was perfect.

8. segrobja macrumors regular

I have had two close calls and one actual disaster.

1st Close Call: Pulling phone out of pocket at Target and it drops from my pocket on to the floor. I had a moment of panic as it landed face down, but i picked it up, turned it over, and it was fine. This was my 6+

2nd Close Call: Had to jump out of the car really fast, phone was on my lap and forgot it was there. Phone landed on the ground and slid under the car. Mophie case got mangled but the phone was fine. This was my 5 or 5S.

My one and only disaster with my iPhone was again, pulling it out of my pocket but this time I was drunk. Went to take my phone out, dropped it from my waist level (little bit over a 4' drop for the phone), landed face down in the street. Woke up early the next morning and went to unlock my phone and was reminded that the screen shattered when I felt sharp glass on my thumb. So I struggled through making an appointment at Apple to get it fixed and was ready to pay for the replacement. Went to the store and lucky for me I had one of the 4 (or was it the 4S) where the volume + & - buttons were flipped around. The tech then replaced my phone at 0 cost because of manufacturers defect, even though the screen was 100% shattered.

9. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

3GS story is totally something I would do!

10. happycadaver macrumors regular

happycadaver