Close laptop without it going to sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EricBrian, Jun 12, 2008.

1. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

So, I have a monitor attached to the my MBP and want to close the lid... but, the laptop always goes to sleep. How can I prevent that from happening?

Thanks.
    Eric

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Try InsomniaX

But just so you know it's not good to run a macbook (pro/air) with the lid closed for too long because it can lead to overheating and other problems

3. tsvb macrumors 6502

thumbsup to the insomniaX but I have never had any issues with leaving my MBP in clamshell mode. I would like to see some hard proof of clamshell mode damaging a laptop.

4. EricBrian thread starter macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

This is normal. Once closed, just click your mouse or type anything on the keyboard and it will wake up the mac on the external display.

I use the same setup. Also, if you want to immediately have it switch to the external monitor at boot time, just make sure the monitor is on before your mac. Press the power button on the mac and immediately close it.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

plug in a usb keyboard or mouse and wake it back up.

7. CleverUsername macrumors member

Here are some instructions. However, I noticed you didn't necessarily specify what keyboard/mouse set up you have, so the first suggestion up page might be what you need.