Close Lid when mac it's hot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johnywalker1989, Aug 29, 2011.

1. johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

Hi. I bought a 2011 MacBook Pro. I want to know if it's safe to closing the lid of the Mac when the aluminum place close to the screen is hot. Or there will be any problem with the screen.

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I wouldn't worry about it. Your mac would need to be pretty darn hot to do any damage and even then I doubt it would do much of anything.

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

No, you should be fine.

If you're super worried about heat damage, install a widget like iStatPro to keep track of internal temps/fan speeds/other data. The case and components are designed to withstand heat from normal operation. During some processes – like rendering video or audio – the CPU and GPU may get pretty toasty: as long as your fans are operational, there should be no issues...

What you don't want is your computer running with the lid closed. Some MacBook(Pros) have sleep issues where they don't actually go to sleep when the lid is shut; this can become an issue, as the sinks can't properly disperse the heat nor can it escape through the vents and keyboard as designed.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, that's an untrue statement. MacBook Pro's, like all of Apple's laptops, were designed to run with the lid closed (Clamshell Mode). The keyboard area is not used for venting, and the vents along the back hinge work just as well, if not better, when the lid is closed.

The only potentially damaging situation is the computer running with the vents blocked. This usually occurs either if the computer is woken from sleep while inside of a tight-fitting bag or sleeve, or used (lid open or closed) on a soft surface that fits over the vents, such as a comforter on a bed. Even then, if the computer reaches the maximum operating temperature for the CPU or GPU, it will automatically cut power to prevent damage. It's rare for any problems to develop even in these extreme circumstances, beyond the expected loss of unsaved documents.

jW

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You do know the vents work best when the laptop is open right? The way they designed it; to allow most of the air out when it's open (and being used) but also allow the machine to keep dust and debris out when it's closed.

Of course they can run when closed, and there's a gap for the air there, but the air enters the machine through the holes under the keys along with the fact the vent opening would be smaller.

I mean, I'm holding mine right now and I can plainly see the differences.

But back on topic, no; your screen won't get damaged from the surface being ~90 C; it's glass, which is a poor conductor of heat.

6. dendowling macrumors newbie

When you close the lid the MacBook goes into sleep mode and stops the processes that are causing the heat. It stops creating heat when it's closed and naturally cools off.

Also, the MacBook screen is glass so, heat from the body doesn't really have any effect.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

*sigh*

You can still run the machines when they're closed.