Close the lid or turn off the power?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by netfangwei, Nov 7, 2013.

1. netfangwei macrumors newbie

Hello all:

My ME294 arrived this morning. :cool:This is my first retina MBP, the performance is far better than its predecessor MB991.:D:D

I have only one question. Should I just close the lid or shut down the computer completely before going to bed? I just wonder which habbit is better for battery life, thanks.

2. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

Usually mine is plugged into a monitor already closed, so I just turn off the monitor and plug it in. You don't really have to turn it off unless you notice it's starting to get slow. If you just leave it by itself, plug it in and close the lid. The battery is fine sitting plugged in over night.

3. rusinov macrumors newbie

Highly recommend You to read this article on Wired about batteries and charging laptops in general.

4. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

none of the above run it wide open 24-7 no silly screen savers or sleep mode needed

5. Paapaa macrumors member

6. sharky25ant macrumors member

no problem about closing the lid. just close the lid and go to bed.

7. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I would really love to understand these trolling comments on serious threads.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are dozens of "sleep or shutdown" threads where you'll find many Mac users run months at a time without shutting down. Either is perfectly fine. One thing to consider is that there are maintenance scripts that run on a daily, weekly and monthly schedule. If your Mac is in sleep mode at the scheduled time, the scripts will run the next time your Mac is awake. If your Mac is shut down at the scheduled time, the scripts won't run until the next scheduled time. If your Mac is always shut down at those times, the scripts will never run, unless you manually run them or change the default schedule. You can manually run the scripts using the Maintidgit widget.

9. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I always wondered about this. How can you edit the default schedule for each script?

10. double329 macrumors 6502

I have MBA, MBP 17, and new rMBP. I usually don't shutdown if not need to. I only close the lid and open the lid when I use it. That is what I do everyday. My laptops usually up more than 90 days most of the time. The only reboot/power is the update or something really bad happen.

11. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

If you think that you are going to troll me then please think again. Do you have a problem with how I run all my computers ?:rolleyes:

12. macred macrumors regular

Whatever suits you. Apple works well in either case.

13. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Thanks but no thanks. I won't bite. Try again.

14. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I already won cause you felt the need to respond twice. Stay classy my friend:D

15. puma1552 macrumors 601

A shame Apple got rid of the sleep indicator, I foresee people's computer burning up unknowingly from not sleeping properly with the lid shut.

16. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I miss the sleep indicator... :/ I used to look over at it when I slept and it was somewhat relaxing! I felt like it was personalized to me or something!

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe you'll find the info here, but I don't have time at the moment to review and verify that this is the correct link.

18. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Thank you, will check that out.