Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
I closed all apps by swiping up. Rebooted my iPhone/iPad and after the re-boot or soft-reset, all the apps are open again.

Hu??

for the last time: the "list" you see on ios when you double press the home button is not open apps, but "most recently used" apps. Whether that open is open in the background or no, is based on other rules which are outlined in Apple's developer doc. (https://developer.apple.com/library.../BackgroundExecution/BackgroundExecution.html).

So you're not necessarily "closing" anything. So why is it surprising if the list is the same after reboot?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
for the last time: the "list" you see on ios when you double press the home button is not open apps, but "most recently used" apps. Whether that open is open in the background or no, is based on other rules which are outlined in Apple's developer doc. (https://developer.apple.com/library.../BackgroundExecution/BackgroundExecution.html).

So you're not necessarily "closing" anything. So why is it surprising if the list is the same after reboot?
Well, to be fair, even if you just "cleared" the list (not for the purposes to close anything but just to make it more manageable and useful for yourself after it has grown, for example) it seems that a reboot should remember the state of that list.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
A much easier way is:
Swipe all apps closed.
Open and close the settings app a few times (I think two times is all you need).
Reboot.
When phone is back on only settings will be displayed.

As far as it being a screenshot or history of previously used apps. I don't think that's the right way to explain it. If that were true then swiping them closed would do nothing except remove them from history.
In actuality the apps are suspended until called on. Where this is noteworthy is when an app is acting up the only way to resolve some issues beside deleting and reinstalling the app is to swipe it up. That clears all suspended references to the app and allows it to start fresh.

I personally will do this every once in a while just to make sure no app is taking resources that it shouldn't be. An example of this is I used to swipe up the Facebook app as it was a known battery drain. I eventually got sick of doing this and switched to mobile web version and saved the page to springboard.

it is a screenshot and an history AFTER A REBOOT, not while using.
It is designed that way.
DO you want a demonstration ? open Safari in portrait, open a webpage, put it in background, open another app in landscape and then recall multitasking switcher, still in landscape : Safari will be there, but the page displayed isn't the one you just closed but THE LAST to be viewed (and thus screenshoted in landscape).
The same happen when you reboot the phone: a list of recently used app with the last "recorded" image showed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.