Closed Captioning

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mary H, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Mary H macrumors regular

Hi,

I am making an amateur movie (about 40 minutes) for several people - maybe 20 copies. Some of the individuals watching the movie are hearing impaired and I need closed captioning for 2 or 3 of the DVDs. I have seen some of the software online and for what I am needing it is quite expensive at least at this time.

Is there an easier way than making subtitles for the movie? Or is that still the best way for me to go? without spending an awful lot of money.

Thanks, Mary

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Depending on your editing software (most likely iMovie) you could make "special" edition DVDs with simple titles as the subtitles. That way they will be hardcoded to the image though.

If you gonna make subtitles anyway, that could be your cheap alternative.

Do you maybe have contact to some people who have Final Cut Studio or just DVD Studio Pro? Or maybe you can find some older version of DVD Studio Pro for sale online.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00022VNSE/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

3. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

I am using FCE4 and figure I will do the subtitles. That is what I did last time and it worked. If we start doing larger projects I will look at buying the software but that is a cost for another day.

Thanks
    Mary

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

With FCE titling will be much simpler.

I just remember, maybe you can have a look at Adobe Encore, there is a fully functional trial on Adobe.com and with that you can create Closed Captioning subtitles.

But the program might be a pain in the asymmetric photons, if I remember my last encounter correctly.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/encore/ - you have to sign up and have to download Premiere Pro with it, but a try will cost only some download time.

5. fruitysudz macrumors newbie

Try MovCaptioner for the Mac - cheap and easy to use

MovCaptioner is an easy to use app for doing captioning on the Mac. It's inexpensive, too, compared to most of the others. It will do many different formats of captions, including STL, which you can import into DVD Studio Pro. Or you can do embedded QT captions, then export again so that the caption track is combined with the video track (open captions), then import that movie into your DVD burning program. It has a 14 day trial that's not cripple-ware, so you can try it out before you buy it. Here is the link: http://www.synchrimedia.com
    There are also some tutorial videos on the site to get you up and running quickly with the s/w. Good luck.