Closed Disk Utility During Partition - Missing 250GB of space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scottshelp, Aug 19, 2014.

1. scottshelp macrumors newbie

I really stupidly closed disk utility because I thought it had frozen while I was attempting to create a partition. The system is still running well except my storage says I now only have 250GB capacity, of which 95GB is free. no second partitions show up in the disk utlity so I'm therefore missing 250GB of my hard drive.

I've attempted to boot into recovery mode and have repaired disk and volume.

I've backed all my files up to an external hard drive and think I should just do a clean install of Yosemite (I'm running the beta) via the recovery mode? will this work? I'm worried I'm going to mess this macbook up even more so than I already have. Such a stupid decision to do this!

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I wouldn't worry too much if you have a recent Time Machine backup. Just wipe, reinstall and restore.

As long as no data is missing you won't hurt anything.

3. scottshelp thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately I don't have a time machine backup, but I don't mind losing all my data as it is backed up on an external HD rather than using time machine.

I just booted in recovery mode and reinstalled Yosemite and all my files/the problem are still there. How do I wipe the entire macbook before reinstalling Yosemite from recovery mode?

4. scottshelp thread starter macrumors newbie

I've solved this problem with a clean install and wipe of the hard drive - nice to start fresh with the OS without any clutter, now to go back and reinstall programs and transfer files!

Thank you for your advice velocityg4!