Closed lid as desktop station

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Dec 3, 2008.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hello,

I am trying to convert my macbook pro (not the new one) as a desktop station for when I am home and not on the road. I got myself a samsung monitor, an apple keyboard (wired) and a usb wireless mouse.
    When I go to Displays and then I choose mirror, it says my laptop screen is the right resolution but when I try to use the samsung's native resolution (1680 x1050), it selects the option, but doesn't show it on screen..it's a lower one :(

Or what am I doing wrong..when I closed the lid, everything goes to sleep and even if I move the mouse or something, it doesn't start up ...

thanks everybody :)

2. sheebal macrumors newbie

sheebal

Hey! hahah I just had the same problem about two hours ago. Someone helped me though ^^

Ok don't do that mirror thing. Uncheck it. It is BAD.

If you turn off mirror it looks all distorted right? Close your MacBook Pro lid down and then press any key on your keyboard.

Your MBP should wake up and you should have the correct resolution ;)

PM me if you need a samsung 2253bw profile.

But since you said your keys don't work, try your Apple Remote. ;)

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

When the lid is closed and you hit a key on the wired keyboard, does it then start working properly? The problem could be the wireless mouse. I've used a wired mouse and wired keyboard for a couple of years in clamshell mode with my MBP and also open with an external monitor... never any problems.

Don't choose 'mirror' in the display options, the MBP should automatically switch over to the other display... and will remember its settings too.

4. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

ok,let me try this :)

EDIT: WORKED! Thank you =)

5. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

ok guys,

I was wondering if it's normal my letters/text in word and other programs like safari don't look a soft and smooth as on the macbook pro display..it's kinda annoying....

My second question is concerning noise...is it normal that I hear my macbook pro quite loud in my room when there is nothing going on...dead silence and I hear my macbook pro's fan or something like that?

Thank you =)

6. sheebal macrumors newbie

sheebal

It could be that since your laptop is closed and no air ventilation on the keyboard, your MBP is overheating. Just run SMCfancontrol :)

7. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

nope, it runs at around 2000rpm each fan...so...

8. sheebal macrumors newbie

sheebal

I have the EXACT same setup as you...

Samsung 2253bw, VX nano wireless, Apple wired alum keyboard...

I really have no clue. I put my macbook pro on top of my bookshelf in a well ventilated location.

9. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

I got it to work, now the text looks funny, that's my only concern, like the black color is not even on each letter...

10. sheebal macrumors newbie

sheebal

Can you please post what OS and the model of your graphics card? I will post a new driver for you :p (One that is actually updated and NOT from Apple :D)

11. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Sure it's not just the font sub pixel rendering and anti aliasing being clearer to see on a larger display?

12. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

the text looks blurry...depends what kind of font and stuff but let just say that when I plug my monitor on my xp box, everything is crisp sharp and clear and when plugged into macbook its ugly. I can't even stand to read something on word because it's so hard to read,

PLEASE HELP ME :( this is driving me crazy :(

13. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

OS X renders fonts completely differently to windows, to try make them look more accurately like they would be when printed, whereas windows tries to keep them to hard pixel lines when possible, I don't believe there's any way to disable it completely, at least officially, though there is an option to set the minimum font size it will do it for to 12, it default to 8. though on a bit of investigation tinkertool ( http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html ) has an option to set it as high as 144 point.. I guess this might achieve what you want? though I've not checked.

Safari on windows renders them the same way OS X does, too, if you wish to check this on XP.

There are arguments for both ways of doing it, but you're stuck with each relative platforms own method in general.