Closed lid-lit apple/open lid-gray screen w/o spinning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grmrMBP, Jul 20, 2014.

1. grmrMBP macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have read many forums and articles about gray screen, however none seem to reflect my particular dilemma. It all started last July when I went out of town and left my computer unplugged. When I returned, the computer would no longer immediately enter sleep mode when I closed the lid. It would take ~60 seconds if not longer. After finally going to sleep, I would open the lid and get a gray screen. No apple, nothing spinning, not even the mouse. I would have to hold the power button down and then reboot. If I opened the lid before the apple light was out, it would look "normal" (as if it didn't go to sleep). Then after a while it would go to a black screen (what I assume is sleep mode). I would still have to power down and reboot. Also at that time Safari was VERY slow.

I have AppleCare, and did everything they asked - deleted Safari preferences, reset Safari, deleted new apps, powered back up with Alt-Comm-P-R, rebooted in Safe Mode, and tried another use (which worked fine), along with a few things I don't remember, all to no avail. Then Finder stopped working, so I deleted the finder preferences (.plist). Lo and behold, that solved the sleep/wake problem. Or so I thought. Now, it's doing it again, but the Safari and Finder are fine. I have gone through this list again, to no avail. Can someone please help me.

I have a MacBook Pro (early 2011), 8 GB memory, Intel HD graphics, Lion 10.7.5.

Also, I have also tried repairing permissions.

Thank you.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you still have AppleCare, I'd take it in for service. There may be something wrong with the HDD. Hopefully you have a backup.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

4. grmrMBP thread starter macrumors newbie

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

6. grmrMBP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the ideas.

----------

@MagicBoy,
    Hi, my computer says it has Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. Is the AMD Radeon GPU something different?
    Thanks!

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It has both, but will report the one currently in use. It uses the Intel HD Graphics on the i7 CPU to save power. When an application that requires high performance graphics is used it will seamlessly switch to the AMD Radeon, e.g. iPhoto.

8. grmrMBP thread starter macrumors newbie