Closed lid = Melting the screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WaterW0lf, Jun 19, 2011.

1. WaterW0lf macrumors newbie

I got a Macbook Pro 15" 2011, and a external monitor. I really want to have a closed lid to make more room.

The computer gets rather hot, when I work in my intensive applications, and I don't want to melt my screen. So the question: Is it recommended to have the lit closed, and still work on the external monitor?

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

Its perfectly safe to use it with the lid closed.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The MBP doesn't generate temperatures high enough to melt glass. I use mine mainly with the lid closed while using an external screen.

5. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

Well actually, I did what you did with a 2010 MBP, and the trackpad actually "imprinted" itself onto the screen (theres a faint but still visible outline of the trackpad). This was the glossy screen. Took it to the apple store to get it fixed, so they replaced my whole screen, but it happened again so I just said whatever and let it melt the screen. Not much you can do about it.

6. WaterW0lf thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the NON-glossy screen. I dont think I have a glass infron of the screen. Or do I ?

7. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

If you got the matte display you paid extra for it. How could you possibly not know? Can you see yourself in the screen?

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

9. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

As for operating your computer in clamshell mode; I personally would not do this but many people will tell you to go ahead. Will it break your computer or melt your screen (lol)? Generally, no. However, the keyboard provides some ventilation for your computer so it will indeed run hotter with the lid closed.

10. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you have the screen protector/keyboard cover that it ships with just leave it there when working with the lid closed. I left mine in there on my MBPi5 and it has not left a mark after 10 months.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Apple states that it is perfectly safe to do and even gives instructions on their website. I would trust their word on this.

12. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

The keyboard is cut off from the mother board. The keyboard has no play in ventilation.

13. cirus macrumors 6502a

The keyboard exposes more surface area and so the computer cools faster. Heat does not have to travel through the screen to dissipate into the surrounding air.

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The keyboard provides no ventilation at all. All the hot air is funneled through the fans on the back.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

it is perfectly safe to run in clamshell mode ... the screen will not melt

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple wouldn't give instructions on how to use clamshell mode if it was in any way potentially harmful to your Mac.
    Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display
    There's simply no reason not to use clamshell mode, if you have a need for it.
    Not "Generally, no." Absolutely no!
    There is no ventilation through the keyboard, which has a solid sheet under it to prevent airflow. All ventilation is through the rear, near the hinge. While heat radiates in all directions, including the keyboard and base, these are not used for ventilation and are not the primary methods for cooling a Mac notebook.

17. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

18. applebear macrumors newbie

Leave part way open

If you are worried do not close it all the way. My 17" MBP 2010 model will close to about a finger width of the keyboard and the the screen goes off and my external 32" stays on. Problem solved.

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

No it wont melt. LOL. But if it bothers u fashion some sort flat rigid sheet of something to place in between with rubber feet of course to give it a gap. Sounds like the old plastic cover on the nice leather couch though.

20. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I would CARE if I spent so much on a Mac Book Pro and to have a imprint on it...NO I WOULD NOT LIVE with it..Not sure why you would...I would get it replaced right away...I dont understand how ppl here can say NOT MUCH I can do or I will live with it...if its broken take in to get it fixed SIMPLE as that...cheers!

21. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Plastic will liquify around 200C.

It might start to warp at a lower temperature, but considering the 2011 MBP's screen is protected by glass... and the plastic used in the keyboard's keys isn't warping, and those keys are much closer to the CPU and GPU than the screen ever would be...

No worries.

simsaladimbamba's link is good to read as well. :)

But others do make a good suggestion, if you're so inclined, to put something in between keyboard and monitor...

----------

Agreed. I'd keep the lid up, for that reason. The more ventilation (in general) the better. Anything that traps are is not going to be good...

22. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

Don't tell me what to do.