Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Since upgrading to OSX 10.8 with the 10.8.1 update my mid 2009 MBP heats up like crazy when I close the lid to put it to sleep. The fans run in an on-off pattern and then when I open it I can't touch it.

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
are you sure nothing like insomnia is running keeping it awake?

nope. Nothing at all. I ran pmset -g assertions and it came up with 0 for everything. I've already reset the SMC and PRAM.
I also noticed that when I keep the lid open and put it to sleep it doesn't go to sleep. The screen will go black for 10 seconds and then wakes up again

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
nope. Nothing at all. I ran pmset -g assertions and it came up with 0 for everything. I've already reset the SMC and PRAM.
I also noticed that when I keep the lid open and put it to sleep it doesn't go to sleep. The screen will go black for 10 seconds and then wakes up again

2 other things to try make sure nothing is still in the print que, also open activity monitor look for a process called "powerd" if it is kill this and that should allow you to put it to sleep

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
2 other things to try make sure nothing is still in the print que, also open activity monitor look for a process called "powerd" if it is kill this and that should allow you to put it to sleep

Ok I deleted all the printers from my mac since I barely use them anyways. When I quit powerd it keeps coming back with a different PID.
And my MBP still won't sleep

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany
Check the console for any event messages that give you a clue what is causing your Mac to stay awake. You want to look out fore wake events in the logs.

You find the console under Applications > Utilities

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Check the console for any event messages that give you a clue what is causing your Mac to stay awake. You want to look out fore wake events in the logs.

You find the console under Applications > Utilities

I've done that and after I put it to sleep I got wake reason: OHC1

EDIT: I've seen now that it's USB or firewire. Thing is that I don't have anything attached to it

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany
Not even the cables? I read through a german thread were a faulty USB cable was the reason.

Do you use any remote-extension, a la candelair?

OHC1 seems to be the keyboard. Maybe the screen is pushing one key? Or you have a faulty key that wakes up your Mac?

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Not even the cables? I read through a german thread were a faulty USB cable was the reason.

Do you use any remote-extension, a la candelair?

OHC1 seems to be the keyboard. Maybe the screen is pushing one key? Or you have a faulty key that wakes up your Mac?

What do you mean by faulty USB cable?
A key being pushed down is possible. There are some possible culprits. I'll take a look.

Here's a screenshot of my console:
24dh93n.png

Seems like it is the keyboard

----------

Ok. So i've tested every key and none of them have done it. Is there anything else that it could be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.