*Closed* MBA Issue - Half the Screen Blue, Bad LCD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Praitel, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Praitel, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

Praitel macrumors member

Had half the screen tinted in blue, after several test I ended up replacing the LCD,, but now I have no back light. See the last post on this thread to continue.

Thank you.

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Since it occurs after login, maybe create a new user and see if that changes anything? I have never heard of a display that breaks because of a login.

You might have to do the SMC/NVRAM reset if the brightness control is not working.

Just to confirm, you did a clean reinstall without restoring your backup?

3. Praitel thread starter macrumors member

I'll try to do the SMC/NVRAM reset and post the results and this is a result Macbook Air installed from a Flash Drive.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

5. Praitel thread starter macrumors member

I created another user and nothing changed, also with the resets Using Left Control Option & Shift and then Option Command & PR. Didn't fix the issue, what is the screen calibration profile?

6. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I think the OS adjusts the screen brightness after a user logs in (to the users previously selected value). There could be something wrong with the screen that only shows up at certain brightness levels, like the backlight going dark if there is not enough voltage or similar. Try turning the screen brightness all the way up/down and see if anything changes at certain brightness levels.

7. Praitel thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm uploading pictures right now and will link them below. I can manually adjust the brightness from the system preference, but when I use the Shortcut keys nothing happens, the Percentage bar will fill and empty in either direction without affecting the screen at all.

Screen before log-in
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll40/TechDats/Log On Screen_zps0f3qi31h.jpg

Just Logged in Desktop View
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll40/TechDats/Desktop with Split_zpsinhyigkq.jpg

Manual Adjust Full
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll40/TechDats/Brightness adjsut Manual Up_zpsdxzr1idi.jpg

Manual Adjust Low
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll40/TechDats/Brightness adjsut Manual down_zpswtankp1m.jpg

8. motrek macrumors 68020

Crazy. Try plugging the laptop into an external monitor or TV? This may reset whatever display software is running, and it will also confirm that the problem is with software (if the right half of the TV doesn't dim).

9. Praitel thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how to do this with my existing equipment, my Mac Mini Server uses HDMI where my Macbook Air only has the Apple Display Port, which I don't have a connector for to make it HDMI/VGA/DVI could their be a way to Airport the video signal to my Mac Mini Server? Both are running Yosemite. Or am I going to have to go grab an adapter?

As mentioned I do have another screen I ordered from Apple sitting in the box, but it is only the screen not the whole Clamshell, which means the Display assembly would have to come apart and I am trying to avoid that if all possible.

When I hold down the Option Key upon booting do get to device selection the screen isn't messed up.
    Image below.
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll40/TechDats/IMG_1904_zpstqmfuez8.jpg

10. motrek macrumors 68020

I wouldn't take anything apart yet since my hunch is that it's a software problem. (Since the login screen looks fine.)

You can get a mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter online for around $7. I would suggest just getting one of these. They're convenient to have even if you're not trying to diagnose a problem like this.

11. Praitel thread starter macrumors member

More than likely since it's only being caused when I am logged into the system, the screen was like that when I was installing Yosemite via Flash Drive, though I have used that same Flash Drive countless times on other machines in my shop and even customer's machines and never had this happen. But when it's has the loading bar, with the Apple Logo as it is turning on, or when you Press the Option Key to view boot devices when it is powered on - the screen is perfectly fine. Just not when the system is actively logged in. Even with another User or Guest account.

I modified my previous post to show the picture of the Boot Devices, which the screen was working just fine.

Going to order one right after lunch. Guess since I do service so many Apple Computers in the area for the last couple years kinda dumbfounded I don't have one already.

12. Praitel thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to double post, but it almost seems like the right half the screen is tinted blue, I did the screen calibration and I could get the left half to match the right half but one in the same when I have the screen calibrated properly to it's natural colors the right side remains the same.

Is there a way to possibly remove the default hardware calibration and redo this?

13. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

What happens when you use a app like Safari or play a video fullscreen?

If you have a spare flash drive, you can put ubuntu on it and see if this issue continues on a different OS without installing another OS.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net This will download the OS and format your flash drive.

14. Praitel, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

Praitel thread starter macrumors member

Update.

I went ahead and replaced the LCD, however even though it was for my MBA, the serials on the two LCD screens are different. So now the back light doesn't work, any suggestions on where to go from here?

Also I loaded in a Windows installation Disc and the issue was there hence why i went ahead and changed the LCD. Was a defective screen all along.

Tried SMC & PRAM reset already.