Closing a WD Button Manager program.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by apollosviper, Apr 9, 2010.

1. apollosviper macrumors newbie

Hi there, Hmmm not sure if this is in the right place but...

I have a Macbook that has been running slow for the last 2 days.
    I scouted the net and ended up finding out I should check my Activity Monitor, which I did. There is a "WD Button Manager" that will flash up for a second and then disappear . It says that it is using 96% of my CPU.

(Does this explain why my mac is slow? Even as I type this there is a delay for a second and then the words appear!)

I think its for a Western Digital external HD I had a while back but I never use now.

So i tried to find the program and did, I tried to drop it in the trash and delete it but it gives me the message, cant trash because it is open.
    But I cant open it when I click on the icon, it opens omnioutliner? (no idea what this program does!)

Any ideas? I'm basically a computer novice, I only really write in word and surf the web. It is driving me nuts! I need to work!
    What should I do?
    Thanks in advance. :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What happens if you click on the QUIT PROCESS button?

[​IMG]

Have you taken a look at System Preferences > Accounts > your account > Login Items and seen if the "process" shows up there? Can you remove it from there?

[​IMG]

And 96% CPU use explains the slowness of your Mac, as only 4% is free for everything else. Or 104% if you have a dual core CPU.

3. apollosviper thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried both and it didn't make a difference, I cant highlight it when it comes on... it drops in and out of Activity monitor too fast for me to try QUIT PROCESS.

"System Preferences > Accounts > your account > Login Items and seen if the "process" shows up there?"

It wasn't in there :(

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So it does only run for less than 3 seconds?

You can also sort by name, then it might be easier to click on it.

5. apollosviper thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes less than 3, its actually less than a second, I tried sorting by name but i still cant get at it!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So it uses your CPU at 96% for less than a second then, doesn't it?

Or what is the duration between the appearance of this process?

Does it appear every minute, hour, day or what?

7. apollosviper thread starter macrumors newbie

It happens from the moment I boot up until I shut down. I force quit all programs, and have shut down and re started numerous times.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's a bit strange, as Activity Monitor shows all processes (if you selected to SHOW ALL PROCESSES), so the WD one should show up there.

That's why I don't understand, how it only appears for a second (or less) and takes up 96% of your CPU.

So have you selected to show all process and sort by name?

How often does the process appear and how long does it stay and how much time passes between its appearances?
    (I ask that, because you said it would only show for less than a second, but that contradicts the post I quoted in this post, somehow anyway)

9. apollosviper thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again!
    I think I fixed it....

So I selected show all processes, sort by name. This caused the WD to flash at the top each time, for about a second. Somehow, I don't know, I managed to highlight (select) it, press quit process and enter in that second!
    Now Activity Monitor doesn't show it as active, my mac seems to running at usual speed and the fan is quiet.
    I tried to delete the program (is that a good idea?) but it tells me I cant delete it because it is open...
    But at least it is not running anymore.
    Big thank you and a thousand blessings for taking the time to help me. I very much appreciate it. ;) :D :)