Closing applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RustyUK, Jul 4, 2009.

1. RustyUK macrumors newbie

When I close an application, be it Safari or Pages or whatever, the bar at the top of the laptop remains the same for that application which was just closed.
    In other words, if Safari was the only application open, and I closed it (using the red x), the application would disappear, but the bar at the top of the page would still say Safari- and have all the options for it.
    THe only way I have found for this is to click on the blank desktop, which then causes this bar to display Finder.
    Is this correct, or should I be doing something else?

Also, my RH palm rest does not always sit fully flush on the desk, meaning that it rocks slightly. It is possible to push it down, to make it flush, but is this something I should take up with Apple.

It is a MBP 13", which I bought about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to quit out of the application using Command + Q or selecting it from the File menu. Clicking the red X does not quit out of applications like the "X" button in windows applications.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

You're only closing windows, not the apps.
    You need to quit from the menu or :apple: (command) + Q

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I believe you can also right click on the dock icon and there's an option to close it from there, if you don't like keyboard shortcuts.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There's no more :apple: on Macbook keyboards. It's only ⌘ now.

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

For dock applications you can tell if they are still running by the indicator. At first, I too, thought you quit the program by simply clicking the X. You'll have to quit from the menu bar or use 2 fingers to right-click and quit (for dock apps).

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Hence the "(command)"... :rolleyes:

It'll always be :apple: to me...

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is basically a philosophical difference between Windows and OS X

For OS X, as a general rule (not absolute)...

If an application can have multiple windows open (i.e. Safari, etc.), then using the red X only closes the window. OS X does not assume you are through with the application if you close the window.

If an application only works with one window (i.e. iPhoto), then using the red X will close the application when the window closes.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Me too. But it sucks when you've convinced your PC friend/family member to get a Mac, and you're helping them learn the ins and outs of Mac OS. You're trying to explain about closing apps (which they insist on calling programs), and you keep saying "Just hit Apple q", or Apple - Tab, or Apple - F, etc., and they look at you like you're from Mars and then you realize they should look at you that way because there is no more Apple on the key.

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Sort of on topic question:

Is there a shortcut to force quit?

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am assuming you mean without going through Command + Option + Escape
    Not that I am aware

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Got it!

If you click on the apple on the status bar on the top left it shows the shortcut for force quitting. I just have no idea what those little icon pictures mean...

13. youpey macrumors member

if you click the X and then click on the desktop, the menu will change to finder again

14. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Dont get me wrong - I have learnt very quickly that OSX is miles ahead of Vista but coming from a windows background I really do wish the red x did quit apps. Its been the only real thing I have found hard in anyway to deal with in making the switch to mac.

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If the app goes "Not responding" you can right click on it in the dock and Force Quit too I believe.

That's the difference in the ways Windows and mac OS handle applications. Apple OS, at least since my Mac Plus in ~1987-88'ish have always needed Apple/Command+Q to quit whereas the button in the corner would just close the window. Apple's OS setup allows applications to run independent of their windowed status whereas a closed window=a closed application in Windows.

In OS X you have "close window," "minimize window," and the 'intelligent' "snap-to-fit" button (green). The green button is akin to the maximize button in Windows except that it adjusts the application to the space it actually requires to full viewing instead of just maximizing it across the screen if it doesn't need to be.

16. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

yes...I see your point on how OSX handles programs in a different manor - when u hit the red x it closes the window and app is still running as highlighted in the dock etc. My point would be - why cant the 'yellow -' perform that function instead of min to the right of dock and let the 'red x' quit program.
    I know you will rip me to bits over that - but please understand I am a windows user of some 15 years (yes Vista was my turning point - as well as the sight of a unibody MBP in the flesh) and that the only real thing I have found hard to adjust to with OSX

17. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Let us not forget that some programs in Windows are tricky and will either continue running even when you X them out or "minimize" to the tray thing where the time is.

18. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You don't usually need to quit apps. Its fine to leave them running. Thats another adjustment you need to make coming from Windows. Your computer won't crap itself if you have 12 or 15 apps sitting idle in the background.

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The yellow button to minimize the application can serve a huge purpose but more on that later.
    The Mac OS is "document based" whereas Windows is "application based". The two OS operate very differently.
    The Mac OS was made from the start to be multi-windowed for multiple tasks. Windows was not and is not. Yes, you can have multiple windows open in XP and Vista but Windows is truly meant to be used with one application open at a time which is why everything in Windows fully maximizes all apps to cover the whole screen.

In Mac OS, the application runs in the background and the document is what shows up on the screen. When you close the window the app will remain open because the application is still running in the background. Most apps in Mac OS can serve functionality even with the window closed such as iTunes.
    If the document serves no purpose after the window closes the application in the background will fully quit such as in iPhoto, iMovie and System Preferences. In Safari you can open up new windows, access the downloads window and such without a browser window open which is why it will not quit until you go Safari-Quit or Command+Q.

The yellow minimize function is very helpful. Sometimes you just want to move that window out of the way but still want to see it content. When you minimize a window you can see a thumbnail of what the content is while it's in the dock.

The Windows operating system quits everything when you close the last window because the application and the document are one in the same. When closing the window you also quit the app. This may seem easier but it's quite retarded. Sometimes you want to just hide the window. In Windows it requires you to minimize rather than hide the window like in Mac OS.

If you started out on Mac it would make more sense to you and if you jumped on a Windows machine you would think it's system is retarded. It's all about what you're used to doing.

20. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...is there a way to resize the "snap to fit" window so it fills the screen if you want it to?

I don't like seeing the background of the screen = something I'm used to from my windoze days...

21. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

This is very true. After using Mac OS X for years now, it drives me absolutely insane when I get on a Windows machine and everything wants to run in full screen. Its terrible use of screen real estate.

22. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

youll get used to believe me,

like said , hittin the x, closes that window,

an the app is still runnin in the dock.

you will get used to this an will love it. iv had a mac for about 3 months.

23. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you want to screen maximize, you can, but you'll have to pull the application over manually. The application will remember this and launch that way in the future then too.